Sugar Glider as a Pet

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Sugar Glider as a Pet

Post by MrPlum »

A friend breeds these little fellows and my daughter was as desperate to have one as 12 year olds can be. So, between them I relented and took possession of an animal that is very different to the usual rabbit, cat or dog. A Sugar Glider.

It is only 3 days and the youngster we have is still adjusting but we expect her to be an intelligent and fun pet. Someone should tell youngsters it's illogical to buy an animal that sleeps when you are awake and vicky-verky. No need to tell me about the animal trade. I don't like to see wild animals caged but better to go to a good home than a bad one.

Food is fresh mango, banana and insects. The animal needs space so at night it has the freedom of the living room but only until we build a large cage for it. Droppings left all over the area is not my idea of animal husbandry.

It bites so we have to train it not to. This involves slipping a small pinkie in the animals mouth and keeping it there for 5 minutes until it learns not to bite.

There is lots of info on these creatures online. I have seen them at Pae Mai and The Grand market. cost ranges from 900-1500. My breeder friend sells them for 800 for a male and 1000 for a female.
Kkelliebb
Novice
Novice

Re: Sugar Glider as a Pet

Post by Kkelliebb »

Hey, I'm amazed by this! Where do you keep it? Free run of the house? Cute little things!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's a Gremlin in disguise - enjoy! :twisted:
Talk is cheap
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

caller wrote:It's a Gremlin in disguise - enjoy! :twisted:
I'm keeping it away from water just in case.
Kkelliebb wrote:Hey, I'm amazed by this! Where do you keep it? Free run of the house? Cute little things!
At present it is in a small cage. We are shopping for a bigger one with room for it to run around. My Thai g/f has got to the tummy-tickling stage but it is still a bit skittish. The noise it makes when it is warning you off is fearsome. This one looks to be a fighter. It needs to be because our dog is absolutely fascinated and lies down next to the cage for hours. A couple of talons and a nip on the nose will teach her that this animal is not like the rats she so loves to chase.