Buying grass for the garden?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Buying grass for the garden?

Post by Henry 14th »

We have visited 4 small garden centers in the search for garden grass/turf/sods but have received little help.

We were told that there is a place in Khao Tao that supplies fresh grass.

We were so told that the rainy season was bad for laying the lawn? I'm hardly a gardener but it would seem like a perfect time for the grass to bed in?

Anyone with any pointers in where to purchase some?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Re: Buying grass for the garden?

Post by PeteC »

Not much on here that I can find. Following quote from a 2010 post. No idea if the place is still there:

"Next to the three girls on the klong road, they sell and lay two types of grass. They also use a heavy roller."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There was still a garden centre there a couple of weeks ago, but it is partially in the way of the new Klong carriageway.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We had some delivered a few months ago, I'm pretty sure it was supplied from the garden centre on the left about halfway to Cha Am that sells all the large trees but I'll have to ask my partner over the phone to confirm that as I just saw it arrive on a truck.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I had the nursery near me lay a rai of turf 2weeks ago. 30bht sqm and 30bht a sqm to lay.
Some have browned off and look dead she is replacing for free.
Her nursery is located 200m up the road from smart house valley if you come up the road that passes the magic balloon park and carry on pass the driving range a further 2kms ahead turn left at wat nong kon you will pass the turn off to siam old teak keep going not far from there on the right hand side is her nursery
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

@ jingjoe

Ok thanks, I know the road and will have a drive up, cheers.

jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

jingjoe wrote:I had the nursery near me lay a rai of turf 2weeks ago. 30bht sqm and 30bht a sqm to lay.
Some have browned off and look dead she is replacing for free.
Her nursery is located 200m up the road from smart house valley if you come up the road that passes the magic balloon park and carry on pass the driving range a further 2kms ahead turn left at wat nong kon you will pass the turn off to siam old teak keep going not far from there on the right hand side is her nursery
Sorry it should read 20metres on the right hand side of road past the smart house valley village
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Thriftydrifter »

I can think of 3 reasons why the rainy season might not br the best time for laying a lawn. With water readily available at the surface the plants will have no incentive to grow their roots downwards into the soil beneath to search for water, so the turf won't bond to the ground. Also, very heavy rain will wash the soil from between the plants as the 'mat' of roots will be less dense than in established grass. Finally, too much water is stressful for plants - most don't like their roots waterlogged, and new turf is vulnerable and needs to be kept stress free. Of course, it depends just how wet the wet season gets.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Ok thanks for that, may need to act quickly before the real downpours start.

heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

When you lay new sod you must keep it damp for the first couple of weeks, until the roots have grown down into the soil. If you let it dry up then you are just wasting your time and money. If it doesn't rain then you need an awful lot of irrigation. Best time to lay it is during the rainy season. Assuming of course it doesn't get washed away in a flood!
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Hmm conflicting advice, may just get some laid now and see what happens, I can manually irrigate if needed but the sky's are constantly dark these days so it looks like the rains are finally coming.

Thanks again.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Henry 14th wrote:Hmm conflicting advice, may just get some laid now and see what happens, I can manually irrigate if needed but the sky's are constantly dark these days so it looks like the rains are finally coming.

Thanks again.

I would definitely agree with laying it now as with the overcast skies it isn't as hot as the early year and if you still don't get enough rain you can easily supplement it with a hose/sprinklers. Although there probably is a thing called too much rain, you'll be very unlucky to get caught by it, before the roots have become established.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Great stuff. Do in need to feed the newly laid grass with any kind of fertilizer? (you've probably guessed that I've mercer done this before)

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Henry 14th wrote:Great stuff. Do in need to feed the newly laid grass with any kind of fertilizer? (you've probably guessed that I've mercer done this before)

Definitely not, the grass needs to get established before any feeding is necessary so leave it at least 3-4 months and then only do it when it's wet or you can water in manually.