The gardeners thread: What are you growing?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
buksida

Re: What are you growing?

Post by buksida »

Chilis - we now have successful plants and crops on Dorset Nagas, Habaneros, Jalapenos, Ghost Chilis and Kashmiri. The nursery has Trinidad Scorpions, Morguas, 7 Pot Yellows and Fatalis. Will be planting the California Reaper (world's current hottest) next week.
Habanero
Habanero
Dorset Naga
Dorset Naga
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Ghost
Ghost
DSC_1928.jpg
DSC_1930.jpg
DSC_1931.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Has anyone seen any kind of insect here attack a chili plant? I would think they wouldn't even touch the leaves......but....I'll have to try to chew on a leaf to see if hot or not. :shock: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, I've had aphids, white fly and now fruit fly - its a nightmare!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

The chilis are still coming on strong but whitefly is very persistent.
whitefly-control1.jpg
whitefly-control1.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Anyone know what to use to get rid of them? Have tried a few insecticides but they're ineffective.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

My girlfriend started a garden. Snails ate every sprout that came up. So she collected every snail she could find and took them to the nearby temple. anyone have a green house?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Come on then buks - have you made any relishes, pickles etc. with the peppers? If so, share the recipe :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen some of the stuff he's made disolve a victim's vocal chords. They'd probably take the site down if he posted the recipe - it could fall into the WMD category.

Makes good firework fuel though. :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Quite a few of the below tips concerning soapy water to control whitefly. Seems easy to make.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote:I've seen some of the stuff he's made disolve a victim's vocal chords. They'd probably take the site down if he posted the recipe - it could fall into the WMD category.
More for the Long Haired General than me, she has asbestos internals... :D I on the other hand have toilet paper in the fridge on standby :oops:
Big Boy wrote:Makes good firework fuel though. :wink:

I shall refrain from commenting..... :oops:
buksida

Post by buksida »

11060875_1692122747690209_5479884493379721632_n.jpg
Yep, eating some Hellfire sauce I made from the above Cali Reapers and Trinidad Scorpions.

Recipe is a closely guarded secret.

@ Pete, tried the soapy water, also with little effect on whitefly (good for aphids though).
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Okay..if soapy water didn't work, here's something a bit stronger.....

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote:Recipe is a closely guarded secret.
Oh come on - promise I won't share...... and let's be fair, you did light THAT firework!! :D :wink:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: The gardeners thread: What are you growing?

Post by migrant »

Not specific for whitefly, but I have soaked cigarette and cigar butts in water, and sprayed the resulting juice on. Very effective
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ For sure. Nicotine is an age old pesticide. I don't know if it would curl the leaves though....especially if using Thai tobacco which has filler ingredients of unknown origin! :shock: :laugh: Pete
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

On the in laws farm in Nakhon Sawan, they grow a hell of a lot of fruit and veg, most of which, is given away!

Every year, they grow a few rows of tobacco, not for smoking but for pest control.
Apparently, the men who work on the farm, grind the dried leaves up and soak the dust in water for a week or so, strain it, add more water to thin down the solution and spray the water on everything.
The result is, no bugs ETC.
Job done.

Years ago, when I was into gardening, I used to grow a lot of runner beans, a favorite veg of mine and of aphids. I always used "Fairy Liquid" in water solution. Killed the buggers in one go.

:wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.