Security window Bars

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Big Boy

Re: Security window Bars

Post by Big Boy »

I tend to agree. The harder you make it, the more damage they're likely to cause when gaining entry. When there's nobody living there, it's an easy target.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

On our soi Palini's family have ten houses I feel annoyed that they have not tried to help a bit more to the right is a field and to the left is her elderly mum and two houses down is her aunt and uncle and he is the Pui ya baan number two.
Richard as you know having lived up in Issan that after the harvesting rice sugar cane or what ever that most able bodied people migrate to work in construction or factories and the ones left are normally single mums and elderly people at certain times are village is almost a ghost town.

I know unless i lived there full time that I won't really have any control over it I just wish I could pick it up and move it to Hua Hin.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Kendo, I fully understand. We were lucky as 80% of the village were family and the house always has some 'relative' occupy it even if only to watch TV all night. Several times we did go through the motions of thinking of selling it and moving to HH but the family roots were too strong to dig up.

You probably know only too well of the power of a Thai family and lack of forward thinking with regard to it's family making a break :banghead: :banghead:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I decided against building a house in the wife's village and instead just built a concrete box (separate from the main house) with a tiled roof and shower/bathroom attached on to the existing family house/land area for when we visit. Kitted-it-out with air-con, bed, TV and other essentials.....and left it at that.

We had our house built in the city on an estate close to where we want to live and work as I just couldn't justify the expense of building a whole house in my wife's village as we only visit twice a year.........to me building a house you barely use and others get to enjoy and destroy is a frivolous luxury that doesn't make sense. I simply would not benefit from doing so [building a house in the village], and if you do so, it often seems it can be just one endless stream of headaches after each other from what I hear.

Now, I'm sure there are the section of folk out there that have perfect situations with their in-laws etc and those where money is not an object. However, for me, money has to be regulated and expenditure supervised properly as I moved here when in my twenties and am not some retired dude, off-shore worker or guy with a US/European wage that can throw what he likes around with little consequence.

My relationship is OK with the in-laws (except the sister who's a bit annoying) but if I was to build a house there then it's them (not me because I'm hardly ever there) that would benefit as it would probably be on their land. Also, there is very little there, or to do, with things like a decent hopsital or mall a little too far away for my liking. Building a house in the wife's village is dead money imo as you will probably not be able to sell it......some are happy to do it and that's fine if you can walk away from the expense, but that's not for me.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

The house I paid to have built in Nakhon Nowhere is empty about 100% of the time, but there's nothing of any real value inside the house to steal. The house was a complete waste of money(building costs) and just sits abandoned now.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

kendo wrote:When we built this house I was adamant that I didn't want to turn it into a fortress so didn't put bars on the windows. I am a strong believer if somebody really wants to rob you they will my wife's bosses house was broken into by smashing a hole through the wall and half a dozen motor bikes they used to rent out all stolen.
Anyway we have been broken into three times now and TVs and other electricals all stolen it's quite annoying when you have immediate family living on the same soi as us.
So I have come around to the idea of a bit more of a deterrence as I don't want these low life's getting into my house it does give you a horrible feeling.

Pete good point about the fire extinguisher yes I have a large one in the house but have never checked it.
No offense, but it sounds like your immediate family doesn't really care about you.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I built our house when the exchange rate was 72 baht to the pound so that was one good thing. It was built to give my wife's two now grown up sons a better place to live and one of her brothers used to stay there too. It was also for us to stay in once or twice a year with our daughter I built the big wall around the place to keep the soi dogs out. :mrgreen:

One son stays there about two weekends a month as we rent him a room near his university and the other lad is working in Bangkok he also has a baby on the way with a girl from our village that he hooked up with in Bangkok.
I am sure if they come home with the baby the house will get used again . I don't regard it a waste of money because it's not going anywhere.
I just want to keep the low life thief's out I won't replace anything in the house that's been stolen though.

kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Name Taken wrote:
kendo wrote:When we built this house I was adamant that I didn't want to turn it into a fortress so didn't put bars on the windows. I am a strong believer if somebody really wants to rob you they will my wife's bosses house was broken into by smashing a hole through the wall and half a dozen motor bikes they used to rent out all stolen.
Anyway we have been broken into three times now and TVs and other electricals all stolen it's quite annoying when you have immediate family living on the same soi as us.
So I have come around to the idea of a bit more of a deterrence as I don't want these low life's getting into my house it does give you a horrible feeling.

Pete good point about the fire extinguisher yes I have a large one in the house but have never checked it.
No offense, but it sounds like your immediate family doesn't really care about you.

I sometimes have thought that but most of them are not in the village anyway so I can't hold them responsible for the security of my property it's my issue at the end of the day.

Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

kendo wrote:
Name Taken wrote:

I sometimes have thought that but most of them are not in the village anyway so I can't hold them responsible for the security of my property it's my issue at the end of the day.

:cheers:
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

Maybe such issues do not occur in a developpment with daily passage of maintenance staff, wall to wall neighbours etc? Or am I wrong?
Nonsense is better then no sense :laugh:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ I don't believe that to be the case. We lived in a standalone home that we built there for 7 years without incident, while several homes in the gated development adjacent to my property were burglarized, some more than once.

Many burglaries in developments are actually perpetrated by staff or security guards as they know when homes are empty.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

kendo wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm When we built this house I was adamant that I didn't want to turn it into a fortress so didn't put bars on the windows. I am a strong believer if somebody really wants to rob you they will my wife's bosses house was broken into by smashing a hole through the wall and half a dozen motor bikes they used to rent out all stolen.

Precaution is better than cure,
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm ^ I don't believe that to be the case. We lived in a standalone home that we built there for 7 years without incident, while several homes in the gated development adjacent to my property were burglarized, some more than once.

Many burglaries in developments are actually perpetrated by staff or security guards
as they know when homes are empty.
I can't say I'm surprised by that.
I have had tools stolen from inside my house, and I think they were probably stolen by a Thai couple that my girlfriends Mom would let into our house to clean it when we were not home.