Termite Swarming Season

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Termite Swarming Season

Post by PeteC »

Given the comment on the weather thread that something is swarming in Hua Hin at the moment, I'll post the ant vs termite comparison photo again so everyone is clear. More photo comparisons between the two can be found by doing a Google search. Pete :cheers:
Termite_Ant_Comparison.jpg
Termite_Ant_Comparison.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 8620 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Termite Swarming Season

Post by Big Boy »

Unusually, the main swarm here was around midday yesterday. I took my wife and son's girlfriend to see the big Buddha yesterday. On the way home I found myself driving through clouds of the little beasties.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Yes termites,wings are the same size. Now for the clean up !
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As to those inside your house especially if an owner, I would have some professional check out your baseboards, cabinets and any other wooden fixture in the house. If a door or window wasn't fully open last night and they were flying inside, that means they emerged from something or someplace inside the house.

A swarm happens usually once a year in May or April when a colony gets too large and the Queen kicks out all the juveniles to start their own colonies. That means the original group is still in the house. :( Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I think they came in from outside. Most were either killed last night or were dead in the morning. The gulleys at the base of the widows were jam packed this morning but the vacuum cleaner sorted them out, hopefully there are not some survivors lurking about. House was professionally treated a couple of weeks ago.

Next query ---- what are the bright red beetles called that have suddenly appeared? They often go about in twos seemingly stuck together so I suppose it's mating season ( I remember it well ) I have taken a picture with my IPad but am ignorant about how to get it on here a question for the digital section I think, or the the search bit.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bumping this for this season as with the heavy rain we had last night we are under full termite and flying ant attack tonight. Millions of them. :alien: I'm sure they'll be in Hua Hin sooner or later as heavy rain is forecast for there next week. Pete :cheers:

prcscct wrote:Given the comment on the weather thread that something is swarming in Hua Hin at the moment, I'll post the ant vs termite comparison photo again so everyone is clear. More photo comparisons between the two can be found by doing a Google search. Pete :cheers:
Termite_Ant_Comparison.jpg
Termite_Ant_Comparison.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 7622 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is my Ladybird Book of Insects wrong or are there 3 types of termites i.e. small medium and large? They seem to swarm in that order.

This year the small ones actually swarmed in early January, and the medium ones swarmed nightly from mid January until mid March - I've never known swarming like we had with the medium beasties here this year. The big brutes will come out to play if the rains actually arrive in Hua Hin, and usually come out to play for about 3 weeks.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not sure. We only get the small and large here from what I've seen. Last night was the first night for anything this year over this side. The ones you get Jan - Mar are perhaps illegal immigrants from across the border? :duck: Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I don't know anybody else in Hua Hin that has been attacked the way we have been this year either. I put it down to the jungle opposite our house being cleared in December having disturbed something.

Fortunately, after the attempt to site a zoo outside our house was foiled, the jungle is ready to take back over as soon as the rains eventually arrive.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I resurrect our yearly thread with appropriate diagrams above distinguishing the difference between a flying ant and a termite. Here in the east the yearly swarms started two days ago in conjunction with the heavy rains we've been getting. I imagine Hua Hin is not far behind once some significant nighttime showers start.

I've initiated blackouts at night meaning no exterior house lighting except roadside and it helps. The toads and lizards are now smiling and getting fat. :shock: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Does fitting LED lights reduce the amount of flying ants or termites. I read that it severely reduces biting insects but not mosquitoes (they use scent to find their dinner) and was wondering if this also applies in this case.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I've never heard or read of it. They'll go to any light like a magnet, drop their wings and fall, and start to look for a mate. The flying ants are good, they attack the termites. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son has LED lights that he uses as emergency lighting. I don't know why, but we get attacked by termites about 6 months of the year. If the swarm is particularly bad he puts the LED lights on and switches the main lights off. The light still attracts the termites, but you can concentrate them into particular areas with LED lights, so they do have some advantage.

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I have fitted the LED lamps in the fittings either side of the entrance gate so next time they swarm I will turn off the other lights and see if this helps distract them.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bumping this thread yet again for this year given the report of heavy rain now in Hua Hin.

Be careful of termite swarms tonight once it's over. We got bombed last night here in the east, enough to have to use a shovel to clean them up off of balconies and decks after drowning survivors with a hose. The weight of the garbage bag they are in I estimate at about 3 kilos. Every pigeon and lizard within miles is satiated! :shock:

It was especially bad last night as compared to last year.

BLACK OUT would be a wise way to go for the next month.