Water under Toilet

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Water under Toilet

Post by Name Taken »

So I have water leaking from under the toilet in my apartment, which is probably due to a bad installation of the toilet.
Should I tell the apartment workers to fix it? or No?
PeteC

Re: Water under Toilet

Post by PeteC »

Yes, or course. If it's water from under the toilet, and not from the tank and connections, it's bacteria filled and a health threat. It sounds like a bad seal between toilet and waste pipe. I would have it looked at ASAP. Pete :cheers:
Last edited by PeteC on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

prcscct wrote:Yes, or course. If it's water from under the toilet, and not from the tank and connections, it's bacteria filled and a health threat. It sounds like a bad seal between toilet and waste pipe. I would have it looked at ASAP. Pete :cheers: :cheers:
Yeah, that's what I think it is to.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Had a similar problem to this recently in my Condo in Bangkok. In this case the water was not showing up in my bathroom, but in the bathroom on the floor below where it completely ruined the gypsum ceiling.
As it happens I own both of them, but when we pulled the bowl off in my room we found the waste pipe had a piece broken out of the stub that protrudes up into the commode. As the broken piece was not there I assume it had been like that since originally installed.

There should be a rubber seal that is usually referred to as a "doughnut" because of its shape, that seals around the waste pipe. But if that is leaking the water still has to get past the flange that forms the bottom of the commode where it sits on the floor. With the Thais love of silicone that part should stop any water as there is very little pressure on it.

I would be more inclined to think that the water is leaking either from the bottom of the tank seal where it connects to the commode, or the connection to the inlet to the float valve. Either way, it needs fixing.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

The apartment maintenance workers came by to fix the toilet the other day and the only thing that he did was put some caulking or maybe it was tile grout around the base of the toilet and in between a couple of the floor tiles with his finger but it seems to have stopped the leak.
It is not a big leak, it's a small leak so maybe the wax seal 'donut' is broken or ruptured. The water seeps up from between the tiles.
I'll update this thread if the toilet leaks again.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Name Taken wrote:The apartment maintenance workers came by to fix the toilet the other day and the only thing that he did was put some caulking or maybe it was tile grout around the base of the toilet and in between a couple of the floor tiles with his finger but it seems to have stopped the leak.
It is not a big leak, it's a small leak so maybe the wax seal 'donut' is broken or ruptured. The water seeps up from between the tiles.
Typical, now the water needs to find another route out so will still cause problems!!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: RE: Re: Water under Toilet

Post by Henry 14th »

JimmyGreaves wrote:
Name Taken wrote:The apartment maintenance workers came by to fix the toilet the other day and the only thing that he did was put some caulking or maybe it was tile grout around the base of the toilet and in between a couple of the floor tiles with his finger but it seems to have stopped the leak.
Typical, now the water needs to find another route out so will still cause problems!!
A classic example of papering over the cracks.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk