Jalapeno Seeds

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Jalapeno Seeds

Post by RCer »

Makro and Villa rarely have jalapeno peppers. So, I'm thinking of trying to grow my own.

Where can I buy the seeds, planter box, and potting soil?
buksida

Re: Jalapeno Seeds

Post by buksida »

I've never seen them in Thailand so ordered mine from an Australian seed bank on eBay. They arrived about two weeks later.

You can buy the soil and pots here but you will need some fertilizer for he seedlings such as 'Chili Focus' (which you also cant get here).

My first batch grew well but then they were all plagued by white fly and aphids - growing non-native chilis in Thailand is labour intensive, I've tried Habaneros, Trinidad Scorpions, Kashmiris, Bhut Jolokias and California Reapers all with varying success!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Has anyone tried growing Scotch Bonnets?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, all the same principle no matter what chili you're growing.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

buksida wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:14 pm
My first batch grew well but then they were all plagued by white fly and aphids - growing non-native chilis in Thailand is labour intensive, I've tried Habaneros, Trinidad Scorpions, Kashmiris, Bhut Jolokias and California Reapers all with varying success!
If your trying to stay away from chemical usage to control sucking insects it may be worth trying a mixture of finely ground chilli and garlic as a folar application to the plants. ( I have attached a link with a recipe that is similar to what I used in Oz with some success). Alternatively there is a fine mesh nylon screening that should be helpful in controlling pestsfor smaller areas.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-s ... est-spray/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers, I tried pretty much everything from washing up liquid to tobacco! The little nets you can buy on eBay also.