Bottled Water

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Bottled Water

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:21 pm Well, as "the bloke with the Kangaroo who has an opinion on everything", I am going to stay out of this, except to say that for more years than I want to remember I was obliged to maintain fresh water distillation plants on offshore oil rigs and ships.

Also, if you have never had a kidney stone, then be prepared for the most excruciating pain imaginable, in most cases caused by excessive minerals in drinking water.

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... is#p294343
Nereus Have to agree with you there. I've had two large kidney stones over the years and needed to have Ultra sonic treatment to break them up, so that they would pass from kidney to bladder then out into the big wide world. :cuss: The pain was excruciating and no amount of Morphine helped.

The Consultant (in UK) never mentioned minerals as the cause, but put it down to not drinking enough water, especially in hot weather. I now drink at least 2.5ltrs a day and have not suffered from kidney stones since. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am
prcscct wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am

No clue what you're asking? :? Pete :cheers:
Should be clear enough. I'm asking if you meant to say:
"I'm more or less confident that the bottled water we drink here is of the mineral free distilled variety"

i.e. there are no minerals in it because it's been distilled. :)
I said and meant....."is not of the mineral free distilled variety"..... Then I go on to ask if the purifying process used does anything to deplete minerals.....etc. If the water was distilled we wouldn't have a thread as it would be clear already that there are no minerals in what we drink. There is also some indication that RO removes some minerals but we have an engineer on here (Terry) who has indicated in a previous thread that the big bottle (18L) companies who have "reverse osmosis" on their labels really don't use true RO.

I still don't think any distilling is used at all with the exception of those products for special use that should be clearly marked as "distilled water". Drinking only distilled water over time can have very bad effects on the body as is clear when searching for the term.

Steve G mentions the big name brands who "have invested millions" to purify water, but still not specific if this purifying process removes minerals present or what process they use. I'll try to do some more searching to find anything more definitive but so far I can find nothing. Perhaps someone in the water business will surface later on. Pete :cheers:
Sorry for my misunderstanding :oops:

Table 1 at http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... chap12.pdf shows TDS (total dissolved solids)
for many types of drinking water in Thailand. I understand that it correlates broadly to the quality of water for drinking.

I tested the water in my fridge and I got:
Namthip - 120 ppm
Crystal - 80 pm

So they come out in line with the bottled purified waters in the table. Similar to Bangkok tap water, which is correct if most bottled water is made from tap water.

I tested Pranburi Water Authority water and it has TDS of 1400 at the point where it enters my storage tank.

Anyway, I agree that I hope they don't sell us distilled water (unless they replace removed minerals) because apart from missing minerals (which you should get anyway from a balanced diet), there seem a lot of other nasties:

The below and lots of other nasties at http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... chap12.pdf

"It has been adequately demonstrated that consuming water of low mineral content has a negative effect on
homeostasis mechanisms"

"Regular intake of low-mineral content water could be associated with the progressive evolution of the changes
discussed above, possibly without manifestation of symptoms or causal symptoms over the years. Nevertheless,
severe acute damage, such as hyponatremic shock or delirium, may occur following intense physical efforts and
ingestion of several litres of low-mineral water."

- 'hyponatremic shock' is water intoxication and can be fatal, I'm sure you've read elsewhere before.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

After my boring ramble, I had a thought. Water with minerals removed (for example distilled water) has a really poor taste, I know that. Flat, even tasteless.

So rather than worry ourselves silly over Thai labelling standards, we should just drink the tasty but cheap stuff. I've always found Namthip to have a good taste, and I read that Crystal replace minerals including the one that gives most taste.

Probably a load of guff, you can tell me. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

TRUTH: REVERSE OSMOSIS REMOVES INORGANIC MINERALS WHICH ARE UNHEALTHY.

RO systems do remove minerals from tap water. However, we humans get the vast majority of our minerals from the foods we eat, not from drinking water. For example, 1 glass of orange juice has the same amount of minerals as 30 gallons of tap water. Try drinking that for your morning breakfast!Another thing they don’t mention is the type of minerals found in water. Tap water contains only inorganic minerals which cannot be properly absorbed by our bodies. Human beings need organic minerals which are only available from living organisms like plants and vegetables and are easily absorbed by our systems. The inorganic minerals found in water has little to no benefits to people and in fact are actually detrimental to our health.It is estimated that over a 60-year lifespan, a person drinking tap or mineral water will be ingesting about 200 to 300 pounds of rock that their body cannot use. (These are the so-called “healthy minerals” that RO detractors complain are being taken out of the water!) While most of these minerals will be eliminated, some will be stored in our tissues becoming toxic. The primary culprits are calcium salts and over time they can causegallstones, kidney stones, bone & joint calcification, arthritis, and hardening and blocking our arteries.
“What the human body cannot utilize or excrete, it must store. Consequently, the inorganic salts (inorganic minerals) are stored and in time take their toll in the form of hardening of the arteries, stones within the kidneys, urethras, gall bladder, joints and an etiologic factor in enlargement of the adipose cell (fat cell). To be one hundred percent healthy, the human body must be free of inorganic minerals.”
Paul C. Bragg, N.D., Ph.D.
World Renowned Nutritionist, Pioneer in America’s Wellness movement
Paul promoted and drank mineral-free water all his life and died at age 81 from complications after a surfing accident!
Revere osmosis water purification simply delivers the cleanest, purest drinking water on the market. In fact, reverse osmosis is the only purification system that can remove dangerousPharmaceuticals & Drugs from our drinking water. According to AP news reports provided by this USA Today article & Fox News report – “Reverse Osmosis removes virtually all pharmaceutical contaminants”.
According to the WQA & WHO(Water Quality Association – World Health Organization) we get the vast majority of our minerals from food not from drinking water.
Water Quality Association (WQA) Technical Services Consultant Regu Regunathan, PhD, and WQA Technical Director Joseph F. Harrison, PE, CWS-VI, both spoke at the April symposium. Harrison said he agrees with the WHO report’s major conclusions:
1. Both calcium and magnesium are essential to human health.
2. Food is the principal source of both calcium and magnesium.
3. Suppliers of water – including municipal, purified bottle water, and POU/POE treatment water providers – may make information on the mineral content of their water available to the consumer.
The lack of minerals in your water should not keep you up at night. The increasing amounts of chemicals and drugs found in tap water should!
Water is essential, but it has little nutritional value.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Both posts are good stuff CamelJ, better than we've had to date. :thumb: I'm especially pleased to hear about Crystal as my water of choice and I go through 4-5 liters a day as working outside in the heat constantly.

Did you actually do your own testing or is that a quote from one of the articles? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

All noted Dannie...thanks. The thing that bothers me most from the link I posted above is this:

"Electrolyte Imbalance

The WHO and others studied the use of distilled water and found that because it is stripped of all minerals it can cause electrolyte imbalances in your body. Your body will leach electrolytes from your tissues in order to add them to the mineral free water you are drinking. This is necessary so that your body can function normally and eliminate waste. If the water redistribution process in your body is not functioning properly, you may experience fatigue, weakness, headache, muscle cramps and an abnormal heart rate."

That says to me that no matter what you eat or what supplements you take, distilled water can take it all away and more in the long term.

CamelJ I think is on to something with the theory.."if it has body...it has minerals..." Probably a correct observation.

In any event what we've done here is given readers info about something they may have never thought about. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I get back to work on Sunday I will ask our Chemist how we treat the water that we make - 30 MIGD (million imperial gallons per day) of RO water that gets transmitted through the Abu Dhabi distribution system- it's used for both irrigation and human consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:32 pm Both posts are good stuff CamelJ, better than we've had to date. :thumb: I'm especially pleased to hear about Crystal as my water of choice and I go through 4-5 liters a day as working outside in the heat constantly.

Did you actually do your own testing or is that a quote from one of the articles? Pete :cheers:
I used my pool testing TDS meter so the results are mine. ;)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 pm When I get back to work on Sunday I will ask our Chemist how we treat the water that we make - 30 MIGD (million imperial gallons per day) of RO water that gets transmitted through the Abu Dhabi distribution system- it's used for both irrigation and human consumption

I lived in Dubai for 12 years and often heard the story that tap water is mostly recycled urine/waste water. I'm sure it's apocryphal? We only drank bottled water anyway. :shock:

I guess water recycling is not big here, even in the dry season?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 pm When I get back to work on Sunday I will ask our Chemist how we treat the water that we make - 30 MIGD (million imperial gallons per day) of RO water that gets transmitted through the Abu Dhabi distribution system- it's used for both irrigation and human consumption

I lived in Dubai for 12 years and often heard the story that tap water is mostly recycled urine/waste water. I'm sure it's apocryphal? We only drank bottled water anyway. :shock:

If you look at the post and link on page #1 from Peroni, it seems that's exactly what they are doing in Singapore. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 pm When I get back to work on Sunday I will ask our Chemist how we treat the water that we make - 30 MIGD (million imperial gallons per day) of RO water that gets transmitted through the Abu Dhabi distribution system- it's used for both irrigation and human consumption Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that water initially from the sea and desalinized before RO? if so that adds a whole new layer of complexity to the subject. Pete :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm

If you look at the post and link on page #1 from Peroni, it seems that's exactly what they are doing in Singapore. Pete :cheers:

I 'believe' in the UAE it's only used for non-potable purposes, the number of 'golf courses in the desert' they have is crazy now.

UAE is the largest per capita consumer of bottled water in the world I think.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:23 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 pm When I get back to work on Sunday I will ask our Chemist how we treat the water that we make - 30 MIGD (million imperial gallons per day) of RO water that gets transmitted through the Abu Dhabi distribution system- it's used for both irrigation and human consumption Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that water initially from the sea and desalinized before RO? if so that adds a whole new layer of complexity to the subject. Pete :cheers:
Well, I did say I would keep away, but Pete, where you think the water comes from on an offshore oil rig or ship?
RO machines run on pure sea water, just produce a lot more waste in the form of brine, as compared to a machine that has "fresh" water as a feed stock.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:
Yes straight from the Arabian Sea. We use two types of technology to make potable water - RO and MSF (multi stage flash) distillation

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 pm
PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:32 pm Both posts are good stuff CamelJ, better than we've had to date. :thumb: I'm especially pleased to hear about Crystal as my water of choice and I go through 4-5 liters a day as working outside in the heat constantly.

I used my pool testing TDS meter so the results are mine. ;)
Small update, the TDS of Tesco's bottled 'Drinking water' is 180 ppm, higher than both Napthip and Crystal. I wish we could have the mineral content, but I'm no chemist! :D