Buying Paint

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Big Boy

Re: Buying Paint

Post by Big Boy »

Just to close this one, the job was finished about 45 minutes ago. It took a little longer than expected due to unexpected interruptions, including 2 funerals.

I am very pleased with the results (once I'd found the right paint).

Would I do it again? Definitely not - Thailand is too hot for any type of manual work. Fortunately, we had a couple of cold spells, but even then I was lathered. First time I've encountered Thai ceilings. In the UK I decorated a few houses, and didn't need any aids to reach ceilings etc - not so easy here.

I don't think any local would have done as good a job. Not saying they couldn't, just that I doubt they would take the same care. So it's mega job satisfaction, but I'm absolutely knackered.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Congrats
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You have me scratching my head now about ceiling heights, and I'm not going to go out and get the ladder and tape measure tonight. The US standard is (or used to be) 8'. Perhaps shrunk now to lower, similar to the crop of new MBA's putting 9 of something into a package instead of 10 and not announcing it to consumers......I digress.

Sitting here and looking at my ceilings they do appear to be higher than 8'. Here the higher the better probably as heat rises keeping the cool down lower where the people are.

There's also the factor of where the concrete upper ceiling is, and where the plaster board with the down lights and spaces for ceiling fan mounts etc., is. The concrete upper ceilings in my place here are probably 9' +. We just did a job on a bathroom and it looked like an extra 18-24" up there above the plaster board.

I'll see if I can motivate myself to get a tape measure out in the next days. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sat here looking at a 6'6" doorway, and I'd estimate the ceiling is at least 3'6" above the door. It may even be 4' higher.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:19 pm Just to close this one, the job was finished about 45 minutes ago. It took a little longer than expected due to unexpected interruptions, including 2 funerals.

I am very pleased with the results (once I'd found the right paint).

Would I do it again? Definitely not - Thailand is too hot for any type of manual work. Fortunately, we had a couple of cold spells, but even then I was lathered. First time I've encountered Thai ceilings. In the UK I decorated a few houses, and didn't need any aids to reach ceilings etc - not so easy here.

I don't think any local would have done as good a job. Not saying they couldn't, just that I doubt they would take the same care. So it's mega job satisfaction, but I'm absolutely knackered.
Glad it worked out, BB. I like a little handiwork even in Thailand, I had to resize all the drawers in a big chest of drawers because the humidity here had them expanded and stuck. Good amount of chiselling, planing and sanding but they slide a treat now. I have three solid wood coffee tables which I will resand, restain and polish soon. Soon....

The words 'Thai workmen' and 'taking care' do not usually appear in a the same sentence. You can't stand over them the whole time they're working and so you can guarantee if you leave for 15 minutes and then go back, you'll have to ask them to redo this, wipe the spilled paint off that, go and buy a better the other because you won't accept the unbranded Chinese one, etc. Rare exceptions of course, but in general I prepare to be disappointed and have a disagreement before I pay for the finished job.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 am I'm sat here looking at a 6'6" doorway, and I'd estimate the ceiling is at least 3'6" above the door. It may even be 4' higher.
As PeteC says, it's because of the need to circulate air in hot climes. You would never even get near the ceilings in our house in Dubai, you couldn't even reach the chandeliers hanging from them (sounds posher than it was, but a lovely old house). I'd guess them at over 12 feet in all living areas and bedrooms on 2 floors.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Haha. Glad you've got that one under your belt. When reading your post about your moment of elation in finding the right paint, was waiting for the punch line, smelt like paint, felt like paint.. Where was the tasted like paint line??
I've got a date with a can of paint myself I've been putting off. It's roofseal paint and fortunately the porch roof is accessible. Just me procrastinating getting off my a*se..
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 am I'm sat here looking at a 6'6" doorway, and I'd estimate the ceiling is at least 3'6" above the door. It may even be 4' higher.
It is probably 3 metres(9.84 ft), as strange as it may seem, metric is the standard here. :rasta:

In the old money a standard door is: 6ft 8" x 2ft 8'', (68, 28) drummed into me by my builder uncle since I was about 6 years old!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm just over 6'5" tall (196cm on my ID card), and my balding head often scrapes the underside of doorways when wearing slippers.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 pm I'm just over 6'5" tall (196cm on my ID card), and my balding head often scrapes the underside of doorways when wearing slippers.
As opposed to when you're wearing your shoes with the wedge inserts? :laugh: