Ceiling Fans

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Ceiling Fans

Post by Ratsima »

When I had my house built in 2007 I installed four Sunlight ceiling fans. Within five years three of the four had failed. (One, miraculously, still spins on.)

In 2012 I replaced the three failed units with fans from Mr, Ken. All three of those have now failed.

Is there a brand of ceiling fan available here that lasts longer, or should I just expect to replace them all every five years?

(When I moved out of my house in California in 1974 it had a running Hunter fan that I retrieved from soon-to-be-demolished warehouse. The fan, I later found out, had been manufactured in 1947. I guess they just don't make 'em like that anymore!)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Ceiling Fans

Post by HHTel »

We have 8 ceiling fans. The label on them is 'abc'. Bought and fitted by Big Kiang in 2005 and still going strong.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

When I moved into my house 3 years ago, the 3 fans on the outdoor terrace were barely functional. They may have been 11 years old, if they were installed new when the House was built. They did not have any name brand markings. I did a lot of research and settled on the Mitsubishi model C56-RQ5 as replacements, then installed them myself to ensure it was done correctly. I liked how they performed so last year I installed additional units, same model, in 6 interior rooms. I purchased the first 3 units at Buntavorn, the last 6 I purchased at HomePro, all the same price, 3100 baht. I had one unit fail after a short time, one of the units that doesn’t get used as much as the ones on the terrace. HomePro had it warranty repaired and back to me in 30 days. While I can’t give you a good answer on how long they will or should last, I feel pretty good about these Mitsubishi fans and at this time I highly recommend them. These are 56 inch, 5 blade, 3 speed, remote controlled, with a timer function that I never use. If you are looking for a decorative fan or one has a ceiling light then you will need something different. Hope this helps.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Thank you.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

ABC, Sunlight and CEI are all mfg. by the same company. I have 8 CEI fans in my house now for 5 years and they all work fine EXCEPT the speed slows down over time. Have to replace the capacitor that controls the speed and they are back up to rotating at the proper speed. My two outdoor fans are specifically made to operate outdoors with plastic blades and Stainless Steel parts so they won't rust. I am getting tired of replacing the capacitors so thinking and looking for some replacements in the future. Know friends who have had CEI fans for years with no problems. Go Figure?????
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have no idea if the following still exists, but I have 3 of their fans along with several Culminate Airy Co junk.

They are made in Taiwan and have a 10 year garantee. Huge range of styles and blade numbers.

http://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile/508833041629001

I think they have changed their name:

http://www.mrken-fan.com/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I wrote to Mr Ken about the three fan failures. Turns out the motors are warrantied for ten years. All I have to do is send the motors to Bangkok and they'll determine if that's the fault. (I happen to have the original receipt.)

The remote control is only warrantied for two years, so, if that's the problem. I'm out of luck….
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

So, I took all three fans down and disassembled them and shipped the motors to the Mr Ken service center in Bangkok. They replaced the capacitors and pull-chain switches on all three. I'm not sure what else, if anything, they did.

Less than 18 months later all three are running very slow. Essentially useless. Picturesque, but useless for moving air.

I certainly won't bother having them fixed again nor would I ever again buy another Mr Ken product.

The one surviving Sunlight fan (out of four) is still going strong.

We've decided not to bother with ceiling fans anymore and now just use floor fans from Hatari. They seem to last forever and move a lot of air. We did have one ten year old Hatari fail, but it was only 150 baht to have it repaired.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Have to agree that the free-standing fans are more effective at pushing the air around - they may not be as cosmetically pleasing on the eye, but that’s not their main purpose.