UK Widows pension

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

UK Widows pension

Post by Nereus »

I hope that this is the correct forum.

Many years ago I was involved in helping a friend arrange a UK widows pension for his Thai wife. He had about 6 months before he passed away to look into it himself. He was informed that a legal marriage here was required, which he had time to do.

After we arranged his funeral and informed his wife, his UK family became involved, and as such is the way here, I never did find out if she was granted a pension.

Anybody have any useful up to date information about this? Thanks
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: UK Widows pension

Post by HHTel »

I suggest you look at this link. Widow's pension ceased in April of last year but from your post, it would be the conditions to look at.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-allowance
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus you mentioned that this was many years ago that you did this.
I believe that the widow's pension only lasts for 52 weeks after the death of the partner, so maybe she is timed out by now.
I don't know if she could make a backdated cliam,if she didn't claim at the time, maybe worth an e-mail to DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) to find out.
Good Luck.
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 pm I suggest you look at this link. Widow's pension ceased in April of last year but from your post, it would be the conditions to look at.
https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-allowance
Ok, thanks HHTel. Does not look like much availablable for the widow, but there is a child about 10 years old that holds a UK passport, so maybe something for him. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Khundon1975 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 pm Nereus you mentioned that this was many years ago that you did this.
I believe that the widow's pension only lasts for 52 weeks after the death of the partner, so maybe she is timed out by now.
I don't know if she could make a backdated cliam,if she didn't claim at the time, maybe worth an e-mail to DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) to find out.
Good Luck. :cheers:
Thanks Don. No, it is not for the previuos case, but a recent event. :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus

There is a Bereavement Support Payment she may be eligible for, but not if she lives in Thailand, unfortunately.
:(
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.