Exercise

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
pinksquid

Exercise

Post by pinksquid »

Anyone here keeping in shape? I imagine the heat probably does not help much with outside exercising during certain times of the year.

I know that there is a running and biking group both of which I believe ends with drinking (which I do not do at all [I am not a friend of Bill W., I have just never done it]). Are non-drinkers welcome (it has been my experience, outside of Thailand, sometimes we are not).

How do you exercise? Anyone interested in getting together and maybe for walking or light jogging or light hiking or something?
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There's always the beach to walk. It's approx 7km from The Sofitel to Monkey Mountain and you can get there in the mornings easily enough at this time of year. Between Dec-Feb, the tides too high after halfway (again in the mornings). A songtaew costs 10B to get back into the centre of town if you're not not energetic enough to make the return on foot - like me.
Swimming's possible. I used to go regularly to Palm Hills where, as often as not, I'd have the pool to myself. Unfortunately they raised the daily fee recently from 50-200 Baht. There's also Sport Villa and a "public pool" somewhere off Petchkasem just south of the town centre. Havn't been to either of those.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I get up at 5.30 2 or 3 times a week and cycle a round trip of between 15 & 20 km.

Seeing early morning lfe, the monks on their rounds, cockerals belting their lungs out and the odd fellow cyclist or two saying good morning - nothing like it.

As for keeping in shape - well I'm still very round! :wink:
dan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dan »

Mr Pink or should I say Mr Squid,

My experience with the Hash groups around the world is that not drinking is not a problem.....heck, I have a friend who is the grand tyrant for life(the big cheese, the leader) of a hash group on the island of saipan and he does know bill w, that is he goes to the meetings and has for 15 yrs. He does drink an awful lot of diet coke tho.

I often ride at sunrise(cooler, cleaner air & no traffic ) up around LakeView and Springfield golf courses....the dogs are so accustomed to seeing me know they hardly even raise their ears let alone give chase... fantastic way to start the day and lends itself to a nice midday nap b4 i tee off in the afternoon.

The first rule of biking(motorized or not) is: if you get on a bike u will fall off the bike so do wear your lelmet!

dano
dan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dan »

oops, should have said ms pink or ms squid......sorry bout that
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

A lot of the expat ladies do yoga. That might appeal, civilised & in air con surroundings. Personally, I cart dogs & sacks of dog food around. Good for upper body strength, but not doing much for my overall physique... :wink:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

I would be up for some jogging - I've seen a couple of people on the beach late afternoon.
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

DawnHHDRC wrote:A lot of the expat ladies do yoga. That might appeal, civilised & in air con surroundings. Personally, I cart dogs & sacks of dog food around. Good for upper body strength, but not doing much for my overall physique... :wink:
Haha, yes, I understand. I do the same (but not to the same extent) with my cats.

I am afraid Yoga is not really for me, although I'm willing to give it a spin. Never count the chickens and all that. :)
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

dan wrote:oops, should have said ms pink or ms squid......sorry bout that
Not a problem at all, it is not all that clear. :)
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

dan wrote:My experience with the Hash groups around the world is that not drinking is not a problem.....heck, I have a friend who is the grand tyrant for life(the big cheese, the leader) of a hash group on the island of saipan and he does know bill w, that is he goes to the meetings and has for 15 yrs. He does drink an awful lot of diet coke tho.
That is good to hear! I do not see anything wrong with drinking, but to some people who do drink if you do not they think you are preaching to them. Bah, I just try to avoid such things. To each their own and all that. :D
dan wrote:I often ride at sunrise(cooler, cleaner air & no traffic ) up around LakeView and Springfield golf courses....the dogs are so accustomed to seeing me know they hardly even raise their ears let alone give chase... fantastic way to start the day and lends itself to a nice midday nap b4 i tee off in the afternoon.
That sounds very lovely!
dan wrote:The first rule of biking(motorized or not) is: if you get on a bike u will fall off the bike so do wear your lelmet!
Yes, I had a nasty spill while riding a bike in Japan and since then I try to stay off them. I like to think I am just not that coordinated! :mrgreen:
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Terry wrote:I get up at 5.30 2 or 3 times a week and cycle a round trip of between 15 & 20 km.

Seeing early morning lfe, the monks on their rounds, cockerals belting their lungs out and the odd fellow cyclist or two saying good morning - nothing like it.
That really sounds lovely, the calm in the air must be wonderful. I imagine there are not many cars on the road then?
Terry wrote:As for keeping in shape - well I'm still very round! :wink:
I happen to think round is a very respectful shape! :D
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

hollygolightly1 wrote:I would be up for some jogging - I've seen a couple of people on the beach late afternoon.
That would be very nice! Which beach would that be? :)
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

lomuamart wrote:There's always the beach to walk. It's approx 7km from The Sofitel to Monkey Mountain and you can get there in the mornings easily enough at this time of year. Between Dec-Feb, the tides too high after halfway (again in the mornings). A songtaew costs 10B to get back into the centre of town if you're not not energetic enough to make the return on foot - like me.
That sounds quite lovely and the 10B ride back sounds right up mmy alley!! :mrgreen:
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

pinksquid wrote:
That would be very nice! Which beach would that be? :)
It is the same stretch from Sofitel to the giant Buddha.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Very few cars around at that time and fortunately no trucks either,

Air is fresher, a little cooler and when I get back to the house it's just about sun up, have a shower, wake the family.

Would like to be a little less 'round'