Learning Thai

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
jsmith
Novice
Novice

Learning Thai

Post by jsmith »

Would anyone know somewhere where i could get an educational visa and Thai lessons in the Cha-Am/HuaHin area. I am currently in England but would be planning on travelling to Thailand in 1-2 months.
Jane Smith
Big Boy

Re: Learning Thai

Post by Big Boy »

Have a look in the Education Forum. To get you started I had a 'quick' look, and you can start with this thread http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... 42&t=15608

Welcome to the Forum by the way. :cheers:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As an afterthought, it would probably be useful if I included contact details info@tlc-huahin.net
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
davidmartin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidmartin »

Insight English has schools in Hua Hin, Cha-am and Bangkok,
davidmartin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidmartin »

The only name worth mentioning when talking about Thai language lessons or educational visas is Insight English, to go to there website click Insight English on the sponsors list.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

david martin said....
to go to there website click Insight English on the sponsors list.
Whoops! English not your strong point?
The only name worth mentioning when talking about Thai language lessons is Insight English
Or any good thai teacher from ANY school in hua hin which would be a damn sight cheaper and a whole lot more flexible to your time schedules.

Nothing against Insight Onglish at all..... only the way the promoting came about....(cue sarcastic pompous voice) - "The only name worth mentioning when....." Oh dear. :laugh:

I really am not contributing anything here am I?

Anyways, you don't need a Thai teacher to learn Thai. Linguaphone (sp) courses on CD are more than enough and the fact that you will be in the country gives you an opportunity for completely free Thai lessons whenever you walk into a shop, get in a taxi or eat in a restaurant. As the old saying goes "if ya don't use it ya lose it".
On the other hand if it is only the Education visa you are after then there are many places who will give you an education visa and you dont even need to turn up to lessons. Basically you are paying for the convenience of not having to leave the country every 3 months. Check the classifieds on the old Bangkok Post and there are plenty.
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

You do have to still do 90 day reporting OR leave the country with an ED visa. The 90 day reporting is cheaper than flying to Singapore, say, but probably not much less than going down to Ranong. I think it is 1900 baht. If you get the single entry, then you have to renew the actual visa quarterly (requires paperwork from the school). I paid the extra cash (£110, if I recall) and got multi-reentry. The main benefit of an ED visa - apart from the obvious one that it is available for a year - is the fact that you don't have to make any financial declarations or demonstrations (such as the 800k in a book for retirees). My first 1 year visa was an ED and I did visa runs; my second visa they gave me a straight O (1 year multiple re-entry) without having to have any paperwork from a school.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A correction to your post, KK.
90 day reporting is free and is done locally at Imm in HH. You can make the report either 7 days before, or after, the actual reporting date. It's also possible to do it by post to BKK. And, you don't have to go in person. Someone else can do it for you as long as they have a letter of authorisation.
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... age=90days
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I remember talking to Bapak last year and, now you mention it, recall that it had changed. Thanks for spelling out the detail.

For me, it seemed easier in any case to get the 1 year multi outright and do occasional trips away.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
davidmartin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidmartin »

Korkenzieher wrote:You do have to still do 90 day reporting OR leave the country with an ED visa. The 90 day reporting is cheaper than flying to Singapore, say, but probably not much less than going down to Ranong. I think it is 1900 baht. If you get the single entry, then you have to renew the actual visa quarterly (requires paperwork from the school). I paid the extra cash (£110, if I recall) and got multi-reentry. The main benefit of an ED visa - apart from the obvious one that it is available for a year - is the fact that you don't have to make any financial declarations or demonstrations (such as the 800k in a book for retirees). My first 1 year visa was an ED and I did visa runs; my second visa they gave me a straight O (1 year multiple re-entry) without having to have any paperwork from a school.
All the information above is accurate but every case differs depending where and with whom the ED visas application was made. This is Thailand and things change like the wind.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

davidmartin wrote:The only name worth mentioning when talking about Thai language lessons or educational visas is Insight English, to go to there website click Insight English on the sponsors list.
No shooting war here but dare I say that Sinsook Chirachant (Jeab) school management was the first to offer qualified Thai lessons and ED Visa in Hua Hin. No Ed Visa submission under her signature has ever been refused. Lesson attendance is a must. Sinsook can be contacted at sinsook at learningcentre.co.th