Isan, Issan or Isaan?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Re: Isan, Issan or Isaan?

Post by Jimbob »

Happygolfer:
Your explanation of Isaan spelling is detailed and answers my oft thought question. However is your information source Wiki something?
I have just finished reading 'Monsoon country' by Pira Sudham who uses the Esarn form of spelling.
One of these days I shall wonder up there.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

nanyang wrote:
The a in can't is a short vowel sound.

The difference in a short vowel and a long vowel sound:-

can cane
Sorry Nanyang, I'll have to disagree with you there, because I'm a Brit. We pronounce 'can't' with a long vowel sound - Americans, however, pronounce it with a short vowel sound. A difference in accents...

As far as 'cane' is concerned: I think that it's a dipthong in both languages (eI in the dipthong chart). Neither long nor short, a combination of 'a' and 'y', and difficult for Thai students to grasp.

I think that the pronounciation of Isaan/Issan/Esaan depends on which area of Thailand you come from (if you're a native Thai). My students, who generally come from the Central area, pronounce it with a long 'e' sound (as in feet), followed by a long 'a' sound (as in car).

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Vital Spark wrote:followed by a long 'a' sound (as in car).

VS :wink:
Like a Manc or a Cockney? :duck:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Jimbob wrote:I have just finished reading 'Monsoon country' by Pira Sudham who uses the Esarn form of spelling.
I love his work, he writes so well. :thumb:
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Its a similar issue with Korat, which many pronouce as ko-rat, when it should be ko-raaarrrt! :)

Spitty - any comment on this?
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Korat, which many pronouce as ko-rat, when it should be ko-raaarrrt!
The latter is correct, it's a long "a" (phonetic a) again. Not "rat" pronounced as the big mouse.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

My Neighbours are fro Korat and pronounce it short and sharp. There again I have heard Hua Hin Thais pronounce Hor Hin, Hwar Hin and Hwor Hin at various paces. Guess it is a Somerset Vs Zummerzeeeeeet scenario.

Crazy 88
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In my partners village, which is less than a hundred kilometres from the city, they pronounce it Kho-lat. Mind you, they speak Souei there so what would they know!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think there's an issue as well with girls named Rattana. They use the short name English spelling 'Lat' for obvious reasons. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

short name English spelling 'Lat' for obvious reasons.
"lat" pronounced the way you do in English is dangerously close to the Thai word for "rhino." So you'll have to be careful there, too. Another case of long and short vowel. :D
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bamboo Grove wrote:
short name English spelling 'Lat' for obvious reasons.
"lat" pronounced the way you do in English is dangerously close to the Thai word for "rhino." So you'll have to be careful there, too. Another case of long and short vowel. :D
Me....I would pronounce it as Laht, not lat or lot. Good tip though and very useful when the wife starts to gain weight again. :idea: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

prcscct wrote:
Me....I would pronounce it as Laht, not lat or lot. Good tip though and very useful when the wife starts to gain weight again. :idea: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Ah, Years ago I popped into a bar in BKK and on asking the attractive door girl her name, I was told it's 'Ratty'. Lucky I did not repeat her name back since I'd definitely mispronounce it. :D I love picking up this stuff.
GOBBY
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GOBBY »

I think it's purely depend on the accent the Thai person have. They all say it a bit deferently IMO