Guys using Chan

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Re: Guys using Chan

Post by Roel »

dtaai-maai wrote:I haven't asked around, but I have consulted my usual Oracle (about me using Chan) and her response was very similar to your combined answers, Roel.
Sorry for the confusion but my little linguistic field study concerned referring to yourself in the third person, not the use of 'chan' by males. That is quite clear: it definitely is used by men as well. Although your in-house linguist is correct in not giving you a straight answer as that means she must also explain when NOT to use it.
dtaai-maai wrote:It's like many other aspects of speaking Thai, unless you really know what you're doing - keep it short and sweet and, above all, polite. And smile.
Spot on. That is why I -like I said earlier - hardly ever use 'chan'. Using 'phom' is safe and can never be too polite.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Roel wrote:
Pleng wrote:Umm it's pretty normal for people to refer to themselves in the 3rd person, regardless of gender.
I (think I) disagree. I have been asking around and some Thais say it is a typical female thing while others say it is not. The first group seemed to think the idea of males using it is rather silly. When I asked the second group: okay so males CAN use it but DO they? they seemed to hesitate and then said it was not very common. (I have yet to come across this subject in a text book by the way).

But I just found this:

Nicknames and Titles
In casual speech, it's very common for women to avoid using a first-person pronoun altogether and instead refer to themselves in the 3rd person by using their nickname. For instance, someone called เหมียว mĭeow (usually written as "Meow" ) would say the equivalent of "Meow is tired" rather than "I am tired". Similarly, they can also be referred to using their nickname instead of a second-person or third-person pronoun (e.g. "Is Meow tired?" rather than "Are you tired?"). Though this may take a bit of getting used to at first, it's a useful way of addressing someone if you're not sure which of the various pronouns is most appropriate.

While it's not unknown for men to also refer to themselves this way on occasion, it's much less common and, as with using chăn , may sound quite effeminate unless you're sure of your ground.

Source: Thai2English.com
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Ah well. I do it. Not often, mind.

I think again it's a generation thing. I only do it amongst my friends anyway. Wouldn't dream of speaking to an elder like that.
GOBBY
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GOBBY »

Pom is junta more formal way of a guy saying I . Anyone can use chan . But more often the girls use it . As most time guys don't even use pom or chan . Get just get into the sentence.

Example

I know already - chan ru rew

I know already - ru rew

Same same. But it's all depends in the person . If he or she cares to make it super polite or not . Most times the guys do t care .