Can the ability to speak a lot of Thai be a disadvantage?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
stokiesteve
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Can the ability to speak a lot of Thai be a disadvantage

Post by stokiesteve »

I would say it's a huge advantage to understand the language. Don't always need to speak it. I have avoided trouble on occasions and got things at the right price just by understanding what's being said. Have also pretended to not speak a word of Thai with some Thai police at road stops etc and often find they can't be bothered with you if they don't feel confident in their English.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I think Roel summed it up perfectly. Thais aren't all obsessed with being polite. Almost daily I see/hear Thais disagreeing with each other, but as in our own countries, you get disagreements and you get disagreements. In the example mentioned by VS, I would tend to think the Farang over reacted. Being "parked in" in Thailand is as common as soi dogs, and getting upset about it is, in all reality, totally pointless because it's not something which is about to change any time soon.

Had the Farang in question blocked someone else's bike/car, would that person have started blowing off steam. If he or she was Thai, I seriously doubt it. If I was the offending driver, and I got a big lecture regarding how I should park, painted lines, etc, etc, etc from some miserable bugger, I would also get hot under the collar. Then again, maybe I've just been in Thailand too long.......long. I think a lot of Farang should take a step back every once in a while, and remind themselves that this is Thailand. It's not the UK, USA, SA, or any other western country/culture, and it most likely never will be. Hey, that's why most of us moved here in the first place.

I've been "parked in" at the Esso filling station near the traffic lights before when I went to pick my daughters up from school. Rather than get all worked up about it, I just relaxed with a cup of coffee while the kids enjoyed an ice cream. What's the big deal? It's not as if I had to attend an urgent meeting or anything. As the Thais say........cha cha. :thumb: :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

You think it is bad in Thailand with people blowing up over minor traffic incidents. This is getting to be a daily happening on roads in Australia all over the country
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
GOBBY
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GOBBY »

They only tell you it's a disadvantage when you are dealing with someone who wants to mess with you in sone way . Farang ruu mak . Not good .

Why not good lor ?? Lol

When in Thailand it's always good to know as much Thai as possible .