Kao Chopsticks

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Kao Chopsticks

Post by dtaai-maai »

We were in a restaurant the other day and some tourist was using chopsticks (probably thinking she was being ethnic! :laugh: ). My dictionary has dta-giap for chopsticks - is that the same as in Kao Takiab...?
This is the way
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Kao Chopsticks

Post by Bristolian »

dtaai-maai wrote:We were in a restaurant the other day and some tourist was using chopsticks (probably thinking she was being ethnic! :laugh: ). My dictionary has dta-giap for chopsticks - is that the same as in Kao Takiab...?
Same same!! :D Chopstick Mountain - supposedly because two mountains thin and tall :D :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Amy always calls chopsticks TAKIAB (pronounced more like TAKIAP)

woke me up sometimes drumming on my forehead with them singing takiab takiab tap tap tap out of bed stinky buffalo poo....and so on.

:idea:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:lach:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Isn't Khao Takiap mountain supposed to resemble a chopstick rest? I vaguely remember reading that in a tourist brochure some years ago.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I use chopsticks quite often, probably cus I lived in China for ten years.I'm not trying to be ethnic, it is that a great deal of Asian food is easier to eat this way. Pad Thai for instance or even salad. I also like it as I tend to eat too quickly and this slows me down.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Khao Takiab was named Chopstick Mountain because there used to be two tall radio masts on top of the highest peak - they were removed quite a few years ago now...

When I first started coming to Hua Hin in mid 80's many restaurants - and particularly Food stalls would only have Chopsticks -plus a small spoon if you were having noodle soup

Regards to all
Sabai Jai
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

What was it called before the radio masts...? :?
This is the way
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The area was (or still is) called Baan Hua Don (หัวดอน and I'm not sure that is the right 'Don' in Thai, probably not at this time in the morning!) I don't remember masts on Khao Takieb 15 years ago but I don't remember much from 15 years ago
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Chopsticks are a pain in the arse, I think the Thai spoon and Fork set up us perfect, I eat like that if I'm eating an Indian in England.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Many moons ago I was out in Singapore with a bunch of Farangs at what was then one of the thousands of small chinese food stalls. Hustle and bustle fat chinese waiter says: "yooo want chopstick, or fawkin spoon"?
My quick witted mate replies: "naw, just give us the fawkin chopsticks"! 8)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

BaaBaa. wrote:Chopsticks are a pain in the arse
I can imagine that but as long as you use them for eating it is okay.
Some dishes are really easier to eat with chopsticks. Obviously eating rice is inconvenient. The Thais do not use them for rice either. I think it is only the Chinese who bring their bowls to their mouths and then shovel the rice right in with the chopsticks.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The Thais do not use them for rice either. I think it is only the Chinese who bring their bowls to their mouths and then shovel the rice right in with the chopsticks.
I've used chopsticks quite a lot in various countries and if you get the hang of it, you can eat rice with them. You have to get them with a small gap between and then they'll support a small pile of it.
I think one of the advantages with chopsticks in Asia is that if people are eating in a large communal group from the center of the table,as they do in many cultures, it slows down gluttons from shoveling food down as they might with a spoon or fork and giving slower eaters a chance.