'Mom'

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

'Mom'

Post by zeitgeist »

Hi, can anyone explain to me the term 'Mom'. Used similar to a moniker, I've been told its something to do with the person being referenced working for/with the royal family but the explanation has been vague.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Re: 'Mom'

Post by Roel »

Never heard of it, but this is what the dictionary says:
Attachments
Mom.PNG
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

There are different types of "mom" titles. You are probably talking about this:
Mom (wife)

Mom (หม่อม) in this context is a commoner married to a prince. She will use this title to prefix her name and add the word Na Ayudhya to her new surname, for example: Mom Srirasmi Mahidol Na Ayudhya (a wife of Chao Fa Maha Vajiralongkorn, whose surname is Mahidol).

After the birth of HRH Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti, Mom Srirasmi Mahidol Na Ayudhya was elevated by King Rama IX to "Phra Ong Chao" rank (i.e., Phra Chao Worawong Ther Phra Ong Chao Srirasmi Phraworachaya nai Somdej Phraborom Orasathiraj Siammakut Rajakumari (HRH Princess Srirasmi, the Royal Consort of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn)).
More on this topic can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_royal ... ble_titles
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

"Titled commoners"

More distant royal progeny, starting from the children of male Mom Chao, are considered commoners. However, these commoners have titles (or a surname suffix) to indicate that their ancestry can be traced back to a king.
Mom Rajawongse

Mom Rajawongse (หม่อมราชวงศ์, RTGS: Mom Ratchawong; abbreviated in Thai as ม.ร.ว. or in English as M.R. and also translated into English as The Honourable) is the title assumed by children of male Mom Chao. The title is pronounced "Mom Rachawong". Informally, they may be styled as Khun Chai(m).../Khunying(f)... (คุณชาย.../คุณหญิง...). (Khunying is also a formal title given to commoner married ladies who have been granted at least the Order of Chulachomklao, Fourth Class.) Holders of this title are occasionally erroneously referred to as princes/princesses in older English translated older documents; it is more common these days to use the correct title of "Mom Rajawongse".
Mom Luang

Mom Luang (หม่อมหลวง, abbreviated in Thai as ม.ล. and sometimes in English as M.L. and translated into English as The Honourable) are the last royal descendants still retaining a title. Mom Luang titles are conferred on children of male Mom Rajawongse. Colloquially, though incorrectly, they are sometimes addressed as "Mom"; the correct informal address is "Khun".
Na Ayudhya

The children and subsequent descendants of a male Mom Luang do not hold any title. However, they append the words "Na Ayudhya" (ณ อยุธยา) to their surname, signifying they are descended from a royal blood line.
Thanks for the wiki link. It was the part quoted above regarding 'Na Audhya' which best describes the use (although incorrect use) which has entered my discussions.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

@ Roel

Which dictionary is that?
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
junetarat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by junetarat »

The word ""Mom ""= Mother (แม่) in Thai.

And also use like prefix for very important thing or interm of respect.
Example.

แม่น้ำ (river )= แม่(mother)+ น้ำ(water)
แม่ทัพ(head of the army) . = แม่(mother) + ทัพ( army or soldeir)

Is that explanation help?

June
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Not really :D .

I think the op was asking what it means when Thai people say 'mom', not the translation of mum in Thai and how it's used (as you've quite rightly given an example of, as in 'river') in connection to other words.

I may be wrong. I've no idea what it means when Thai people say 'mom'. Never heard it used myself. I assume it means what the prior poster's have posted. :D

:cheers:
junetarat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by junetarat »

GLCQuantum, Thank you. :-)
As @Zeitgeis . Explain.

Sorry I got it wrong. So for the word " mom".
I try to explain in the easy way.

Mom(หม่อม) is not very much use in these day but stil use, also like prefix or position that like Duke or Earl in Th UK.
like a member of nobillity or rayal family.

1.Use for prefix interm of wife. (Woman only)
2.Use for prefix interm of memer of nobillity. (Can be Man or Woman)

Regards
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

As the original post already explains:

'Used similar to a moniker'
'person being referenced working for/with the royal family'
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended