Ramkhamhaeng Inscription

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Bamboo Grove

Ramkhamhaeng Inscription

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It is claimed that King Ramkhamhaeng was the one who created the Thai script. Some people don't think so and if you read the text, you can notice that the style changes quite remarkably after the self introduction part.

However, what I find interesting in this script is the old language, which is more of the northern style than that of the present official language, which is based on Bangkok accent. For example, the King uses the word กู (kuu) for "I". Nowadays it is still very much used in northern and north-eastern areas of Thailand. Elsewhere it is considered to be a bit impolite, although close friends may use it when conversing with each other.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/thai/inscrip ... ption1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Khamhaeng
junetarat
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ramkhamhaeng Inscription

Post by junetarat »

For example, the King uses the word กู (kuu) for "I". Nowadays it is still very much used in northern and north-eastern areas of Thailand

: กู (kuu) still very much used all parts of Thailand. Specially in rural area or among close friend not just north oir northeast.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

junetarat wrote: : กู (kuu) still very much used all parts of Thailand. Specially in rural area or among close friend not just north oir northeast.
I agree with you. I hear it all the time. It's more of a 'g' sound than a 'k' though. I think you maybe Thai, so you know that already. :D
junetarat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by junetarat »

Yes, I am Thai. And it is very hard to explain why we still like to use words, that we tell the others they are impolite.

Because for some people, กู(guu/kuu) for I, มึง(Mueng) for you been used like

Hey Man or Hi Mate in English.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, it is interesting. Recently I read that the language used in the ancient kingdom of Sukhothai was Northern Thai (Thai Yuan or Kham Muang) whereas the language that became known as Thai was used in Ayutthaya Kingdom. These speakers may have arrived from what is now the Southern Thailand area.