Silent R's Thai to English

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Silent R's Thai to English

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Nereus wrote:
Big Boy, try telling her that you are going to "Phrae" instead of Krabi, and see what the reaction is. :banghead:
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Might be a good idea just to go to Loei and say loei pai Loey. :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

TingTongJohn wrote:In the old days when I would go see my ex she was working at Carrefour in Bangkok on Ramintra road I would have to tell the Taxi
to go to "Caa foo" Raminta. SO I would mispronounce the store name (no R`S)
If you're English, you almost certainly mispronounce it in the opinion of a French speaker.
Besides, how do you pronounce the r in car or four/for? It's all a matter of perspective, and in any language, pronunciation depends on where in the word the letter appears.
This is the way
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

dtaai-maai wrote:
TingTongJohn wrote:In the old days when I would go see my ex she was working at Carrefour in Bangkok on Ramintra road I would have to tell the Taxi
to go to "Caa foo" Raminta. SO I would mispronounce the store name (no R`S)
If you're English, you almost certainly mispronounce it in the opinion of a French speaker.
Besides, how do you pronounce the r in car or four/for? It's all a matter of perspective, and in any language, pronunciation depends on where in the word the letter appears.
No doubt at all I am slandering it in French and more so in Thai. Just something I remember is all in regards to not pronouncing the R in Carrefour and saying Caa foo(spelling?)
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Carrefour doesnt exist anymore, a Big C has replaced it in name. Wow. that was ages ago...
As for locals pronouncing, a lot of it is in the mind(set).
I once had a trying time getting a group of students to pronounce the word ít'. They would always pronounce it as 'íss' or some semblence of it. They just couldn't close the 't'. Until I remembered that hollow cement blocks were also called that. So, when I spelt it in Thai (อิท) the pronounciation was perfect. Point to English spelling, iss. Thai spelling, it.
Go figure.
วินเชนท์