Why do many expats not bother to learn to read?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Why do many expats not bother to learn to read?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Takiap wrote:Sidthesloth......

Anyway, my guess is that you are from the UK. A good sense of humor and a real wind-up merchant - love it. :thumb:
Yes, I have to agree. Feed this 'troll' as much as you like - the forum is much more interesting with the occasional spark of controversy!
This is the way
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

Dannie Boy wrote: This is an extract from one of his quotes above
"Now, if I could read, write, and speak fluent Thai, and I got into a conversation about such things, I have absolutely no doubt that it would end in a disaster." so he's clearly not fluent in Thai, although pretty good as a windup merchant :thumb:
you might need to update your prescription, that's not me

I've been here about 3 years and can read and speak Thai at something like an intermediate level. Basically, I just put a little bit of effort in. Presumably, the part of the brain responsible for learning to read is also responsible for being able accurately determine who wrote a post on a forum.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For once he's correct. That quote came from Takieb.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ok so I got one bit wrong but one bit right - he didn't say he wasn't fluent in Thai, but he is a fluent windup merchant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

sidthesloth wrote:
handdrummer wrote:why learn a dead language?
I think you'll find you'll be dead long before the Thai language

:guns:
well el sid, you may be erudite but are severely lacking in humor or is that humour? :neener:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I think if I learned how to read, write, and speak Thai, "superior" people wouldn't have anything to write threads like this one about.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

sidthesloth wrote:I've been here about 3 years and can read and speak Thai at something like an intermediate level. Basically, I just put a little bit of effort in.
Do tell more about how you managed to get to such a level? College, night school, if yes, which one's, self-taught, Thai?
Talk is cheap
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

caller wrote:
sidthesloth wrote:I've been here about 3 years and can read and speak Thai at something like an intermediate level. Basically, I just put a little bit of effort in.
Do tell more about how you managed to get to such a level? College, night school, if yes, which one's, self-taught, Thai?
self-taught.

I bought this book and read it (and tested myself the way they taught me in primary school)

and then I bought this book and did the same

there's a 3rd book in the series but I'm not there yet
Hahuahin
Professional
Professional

Post by Hahuahin »

Personally I speak some Thai...but lost interest in the host to go any further and learn to read etc.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Excellent books Sid, I have all 3 myself. I've studied the two you show above extensively, in fact, we just finished a year of studying the purple book in class at Sirada. I've started on the 3rd book, it's green colored and titled "Thai for advanced readers", but haven't spent much time with it. I highly recommend the orange book for anyone remotely interested in learning some basic Thai and especially for those that might be a bit unsure of their personal ability to make progress with the language. This book is extremely well written and easy to use.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

sidthesloth wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:Pointless to discuss this seen as the sloth will not expand on the original meaningless post
what needs expanding?

grown men can't read traffic signs. personally, I would find that humiliating.
but this thread show it's not beyond these same illiterates to rationalise it away by arguing that their brains just aren't good enough
I think rationality is an admirable quality.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree NT, and the OP should remind himself that it is not our duty to learn how to read street signs written in Thai, it is Thailand's duty to learn English and provide English signage. :wink:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Takiap wrote:I agree NT, and the OP should remind himself that it is not our duty to learn how to read street signs written in Thai, it is Thailand's duty to learn English and provide English signage. :wink:

and let's not forget all the other languages that are spoken by the one time visitors to thighland.

:cheers:
Peter1990
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Peter1990 »

Isn't there in the meantime some useful app on iOS or Android to at least make learning a bit more attractive? All I've seen and tried is very basic only and doesn't really go further than repeating a few words like a parrot.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Last week I forgot I was supposed to play golf one day. My wife saved me, seeing I was up at 6:30 a.m. fooling around with the computer, she asked me why I wasn't getting ready to go play. It isn't funny now.....I never thought I'd forget a tee time!

As mentioned previously I'm 72, and now have failing hearing along with other assorted ailments from living so long. I retired ten years ago because I knew I was slowly getting less and less productive.....not from lack of effort, but from lack of brain cells. I exchange Thai and English with my caddie who I've known for about nine years......I'm quite embarrassed to tell you I can forget a word in less than thirty seconds.

So, Sid, how old are you? I'm betting not even sixty yet. Let's see how you feel in a few years. If you're lucky you will still have an answer for everything. If not some smart ass will be happy to tell you how ignorant you are.

:bow: :bow: :bow: