Junta: Thai to become the world's common language

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
buksida

Junta: Thai to become the world's common language

Post by buksida »

Thai could supersede English as the dominant world language – at least in the opinion of junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha.

After awarding trophies to youths Thursday at the Government House, Prayuth gave an address encouraging children to embrace their language, which he assured could one day become the world’s common language.

“The most commonly used language today is of course English. If it was Thai, we’d be a great power already. Is there a chance? Yes. If you do what I say, one day Thai will be the world’s lingua franca,” Prayuth said.

He added that although Thai is relatively difficult to learn, more people are learning the language.

“[Thai] has 44 characters … we have tones and more vowels than English. One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,” he explained.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... yuth-says/

Right up there with North Korean ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Junta: Thai to become the world's common language

Post by hhinner »

I had a look at the video clip on Khao sod and my impression was that nobody was listening to him. There was background conversation noise and, anyway, if people were listening why didn't they laugh?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

:lach:

The comedic entertainment in Thailand is great, I love it and it's free. In the U.S. you would have to pay money for this kind of comedy.

I think 'Korean' is the language spoken in North Korea, I don't think 'North Korean' is an actual language.
Last edited by Name Taken on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Name Taken wrote: I think Korean is the language spoken in North Korea, I don't think 'North Korean' is an actual language.
It was a joke. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

buksida wrote:
Name Taken wrote: I think Korean is the language spoken in North Korea, I don't think 'North Korean' is an actual language.
It was a joke. :roll:

Oh, sorry buksida :| :cheers:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

buksida wrote:"One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,”
Proud to be confusing anyone who tries to understand what they do or why. Genius.
:roll:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

This might be the case where the Mountain won't learn Mohammed, Mohammed must learn Mountain?
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So it is not China we have to fear will take over the world it is Thailand and the Thai language. Oh my Buddha
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

He deserves the Nobel price of stupidity. Thais can see what kind of PM they have.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Junta: Thai to become the world's common language

Post by hhinner »

J.J.B. wrote:
buksida wrote:"One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,”
Proud to be confusing anyone who tries to understand what they do or why. Genius.
:roll:
And he thinks other languages don't have homonyms? But then he doesn't speak anything else I suppose.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think that this is a reaction against something the Thai people dont want to face. the primary language of ASEAN and of SE Asia trade is going to be English--this has been agreed on. For s/p, malaysia and the Phillips this is no problem. Most other countries are addressing it by upgrading English teaching--Thai is handling it bya typical method--pretending it isnt so.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

What has Prayuth been smoking?
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They appear to have no vision except for the past and the status quo. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:They appear to have no vision except for the past and the status quo. :(
He seems to have a vision of taking over the world. Other military dictatorships have tried that in the past and it's always ended badly.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

prcscct wrote:They appear to have no vision except for the past and the status quo. :(
That is what Buddhism is all about, never upset anyone, avoid conflict at all cost, save face, never change anything and only think of today as tomorrow will take care of itself.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali