Buri

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Ah.. no, no, no! No reference books.

I first became aware of the idea that modern European languages were spawned by Sanskrit when I read Wild Wales, George Borrow's last major work. However, when educating the great unwashed these days, reference to web sites seems to be a far more acceptable means of delivering a didactic coup de grace.

At the close of Wild Wales, Borrows devoted a whole section to comparisons between the Sanskrit and Welsh languages, much of which has since been discredited, such as his claim that,

"The original home of the Cumro was Southern Hindustan, the extreme point of which, Cape Comorin, derived from him its name."

However, if you have ever heard an Englishman attempting a piss take at the South Wales accent, you could understand his confusion.

Even the Romantic Borrow summarised by writing,

"From comparing the words in that list one might feel disposed to rush to the conclusion that the Cumric sprang from the Sanscrit, the sacred language of sunny Hindustan. But to do so would be unwise, for deeper study would show that if the Welsh has some hundreds of words in common with the Sanscrit, it has thousands upon thousands which are not to be found in that tongue, after making all possible allowance for change and modification."

And as a prelude to a series of rhetorical questions went on to state,

"No subject connected with what is called philosophy is more mortifying to proud human reason than the investigation of languages...."

I quote the above directly from my copy of Wild Wales, which Borrow wrote in 1861. If only he were alive to contribute to HHAD!

P.S. Analysing the origin of place names was also a minor feature of my architecture degree course! :wink:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:
It is of course worth noting that it does not necessarily follow that because a language shares a cognate word with Sanskrit that its joint origin is Sanskrit. Words may exist in some languages that have been borrowed or developed from sanskrit, whilst in other languages they could have arrived via another quite separate route (Greek for example) from the pre-historic Proto Indo-European language. The origin of Bury in English, is therefore probably not from the Sanskrit. See this link for the Indo-European family trees, which should make it all clear.... as mud!

http://www.friesian.com/cognates.htm
I was more or less trying to say the same thing without the frills. All of these words that have similarity will have passed through many different languages and dialects and sometimes bastardised but nevertheless remain cognate. If course this is all speculation. There are debates by English Linguistic experts about words that never appeared before the fifteenth century. We are hear discussin word that are possibly ten time as okd as that.

In many cases similairities may be purely coindidental. As all of the Indo Language super family use the same vowel and consinent sounds there will always be coincidental similarities.

Also I believe there is no solid evidence avialable as to whether Hittite/Hurrian or Vedic/Sanskrit were the first langues in general use in the first days of civilisation in the fertile crescent.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]