TEFL course

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

TEFL course

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I hope someone can help me. Apparently there is somewhere very near Hua Hin that gives TEFL courses? It is held over a six week period and would give me something to do when I move to Sanom, as there local school is desperate for an English teacher.
I do hope blackboards come with spell checkers.... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Hi Mr. C,

Yes, there is indeed somewhere in Hua Hin where you can to a TEFL course. It's WECI in Hua Hin and if you look at their website - www.wecitefl.com - they say that their course is fully approved by the Ministry of Ed. I have no personal contacts there, and don't know anyone who's completed a course there - but I think they're OK.

I did my CELTA (Cambridge) at the ECC in Bangkok - it was a month of sheer hell! There are a lot of places doing different certificates but I would personally recommend the Cambridge or Trinity ones if you think you may be teaching outside Thailand.

To be quite honest, if the local school is desperate for teachers then they wouldn't give two hoots if you had had teaching training. You can get a job, and a work permit (which is necessary if you're working here) without any kind of teacher training. Normally you need a degree (in any subject - and I mean any subject) to get a work permit. However, there are an awful lot of people teaching out here without a degree or any teaching certificate, or a work permit - it's a heck of a risk to take, and if the Imm. Dept. find out you'll be popped on a plane with PNG in your passport before you can say 'Well I was only doing it for fun, and they weren't paying me, and I'm a really nice guy....'. Not worth it.

From what I've read of your postings, and your lovely blog, I think you'll make an excellent teacher. If the school gets you a work permit you don't need to leave the country at all. It can be renewed yearly at the nearest large Immigration Office - no border runs.

I won't waffle on about all the in's and out's here. If you need to know more, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck,
VS

P.S. The students are pretty good spell checkers. :)
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Thanks for the reply Vital Spark, and the info. I think as I intend to stay here for the rest of my life I will go the right and proper route regardless of the 'sheer hell' element....lol
The school is 60kms n/e of Surin and is really great. I have visited there many times. It would be great to make a contribution to these young Thai lives.
www.35mmview.com
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Sorry R. I think I may have given you some duff info. above. I've just been looking at the WECI site and there's no mention of TEFL courses - just courses for those wishing to learn English.

They used to do courses, maybe they've given up. Mai khow chai...

There are certainly other places where you can get a certificate: Hat Yai (?), Bangkok (if you can put up with the smog), Pattaya (OK, forget it), Chiang Mai (nice and cool now) - almost any large town in Thailand has an institution/company willing to take your dosh and convert it into a certificate. I still prefer the Cambridge CELTA (although the 'A' at the end does refer to adults, rather than children).

Chok dee. You'll love it - and the kids will too!

V.S.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bearing in mind that a TEFL course is pretty much a given (you pays your money, you gets your piece of paper), and that it ain't cheap (you need to do a 6 week/120 hour course for it to mean anything), I'd go somewhere I liked. I did mine on Koh Samui (but I was already living there) and had a great time. And I can't stand Bkk.

If you haven't looked already, take a gander at ajarn.com - you'll find all the TEFL courses available in Thailand.
This is the way