Weight loss surgery and Diabetes

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Re: Weight loss surgery and Diabetes

Post by Big Boy »

MrPlum wrote:I wonder if those particular patients may have, along with a reduced volume of food, also eaten more healthily? i.e. reduced sugar.
Prior to my operation, I had zero tolerance to sugar or fatty foods. Now I can I eat what I want (obviously in much smaller portions), and my blood sugar levels are totally under control.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Big Boy wrote:Prior to my operation, I had zero tolerance to sugar or fatty foods. Now I can I eat what I want (obviously in much smaller portions), and my blood sugar levels are totally under control.
I think Dr Michael was referring to exceptions to the norm.

What do you mean by zero tolerance? Do you mean you just gained weight or was their some other reaction you were experiencing?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Prior to my operation, even when on a fairly reduced diet (I also lost a lot of weight before the operation), any hint of cheating with a biscuit or maybe a fried sausage would see my blood sugar levels rise significantly.

Points 48; Position 20
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

BB that is brilliant well done and hats off to you it makes my 30 kilos look small beer

keep it up maybe we could meet up again sometime

:thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap:
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

'Many health woes in teens seeking obesity surgery'
http://news.yahoo.com/many-health-woes- ... 27586.html

While I have seen several around 100-130kg, I have never encountered one of the seriously obese. What an emotional ordeal they must go through discovering... 'lifestyle changes and medication rarely work'. It isn't really explained why.

The risks associated with surgery aren't small... 'the study results may represent a best-case scenario, since surgeons involved were all highly experienced.'

How's your progress BB?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

MrPlum wrote:'Many health woes in teens seeking obesity surgery'
http://news.yahoo.com/many-health-woes- ... 27586.html

While I have seen several around 100-130kg, I have never encountered one of the seriously obese. What an emotional ordeal they must go through discovering... 'lifestyle changes and medication rarely work'. It isn't really explained why.

The risks associated with surgery aren't small... 'the study results may represent a best-case scenario, since surgeons involved were all highly experienced.'

How's your progress BB?
The day I had my surgery, there were 3 of us under the knife. 2 of us were oldies, but there was a 200Kg, 18 year old girl. So they are obviously out there.

My progress is not good at the moment. I don't know if I've mentioned that I've had quite a serious leg infection since February. This was caused by an insect bite. This infection has significantly immobilised me for quite a while. Even though I can't eat enough to keep a fly alive these days, I am not currently losing weight. The good news is that I'm not gaining either. I was actually given the all clear yesterday, so I can become more active, and the weight should start reducing again.

I was going to jump in on the other 'weight loss' thread. I am probably managing little more than 1000 calories a day, but without regular exercise I'm dead in the water.

Ask in a few week's time, and I should be able to report better news again.

Points 48; Position 20
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy, I'm in your corner. I've had a weight problem ever since moving here (never a serious one before) as I have become inactive and eat and drink more in retirement strictly from boredom. I exercise at least an hour a day including aerobic and strength training on alternate days but I still eat and drink too much for lack of anything else better to do so it's tough. Hope you get completely over your infection and can get back to regular activity... :thumb:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The infection has been given the all clear, but I've got to keep one bandage on for a further 3 months to protect the leg from further bites. It will have been an 11 month battle, but I've got there :D

Points 48; Position 20
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

BB

Nice to see your leg healing.......Good luck in your continuing weight loss.....

I might have missed it....... But do you know what type of insect bit you......?

Your good health....

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sand_dancer wrote:But do you know what type of insect bit you......?
No, I don't. However, for the next 3 months my leg will be vulnerable to a bite from any insect. As such, I've got to wear a bandage for the full period to protect it.

Points 48; Position 20
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Big Boy wrote:
sand_dancer wrote:But do you know what type of insect bit you......?
No, I don't. However, for the next 3 months my leg will be vulnerable to a bite from any insect. As such, I've got to wear a bandage for the full period to protect it.

BB

Fully appreciate the additional and continued protection of your leg.....

The reason that I asked if you knew what had bitten you....... I had the fortune or misfortune..... Depending on viewpoint....... Of treating many bites.... Stings and all sorts of other nasties in the jungles of Brunei and Central America......

Even with the unhygienic conditions of said jungles..... I never saw anything that went as infected as your leg.....

Anyway..... I hope your recovery continues and you are back to your normal self soon....

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks, so do I. We believe the problem has been resolved now.

You say you've never seen anything go so bad, I was at Hua Hin hospital with Mrs BB last week, and there was a poor German chap who had similar infections in both legs and both arms. His infections started from mosquito bites.

Points 48; Position 20
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

You say you've never seen anything go so bad, I was at Hua Hin hospital with Mrs BB last week, and there was a poor German chap who had similar infections in both legs and both arms. His infections started from mosquito bites.
What I was trying to highlight..... With the limited equipment.... Hygiene & Medical..... That we carried on our patrols...... I never saw anything that turned out anywhere near as bad as your leg....

Whilst your photo's speak for themselves...... And I am not doubting for a second the condition of the poor German man......

I guess I was trying to compare the relatively hygienic conditions of HH to the unhygienic conditions of jungle patrols...... And what had contributed to the levels of infection......
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Mr S has Type 2 diabetes and a few years ago had an ulcer on his toe. It took months to get rid of it and he is now in the clear. It is very important to keep the blood sugar under Also it is very important to check your feet regularly for any problems, cuts splits, hard skin etc. If problems are found, seek urgent treatment with a podiatrist. With diabetes you have loss of sensation to your feet. The golden rule is never to walk around without shoes on. I know this is difficult in a hot climate, but vital.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sand_dancer wrote:I guess I was trying to compare the relatively hygienic conditions of HH to the unhygienic conditions of jungle patrols...... And what had contributed to the levels of infection......
With me, my blood sugars are totally under control, but the damage was done before they were. That earlier damage didn't cause, but has certainly hindered my recovery.

Points 48; Position 20