Marmite ....a mosquito repellent?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Marmite ....a mosquito repellent?

Post by Bristolian »

Who says that you can't have the best of all worlds
I love Marmite and this should be something really special!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bristolian wrote:Who says that you can't have the best of all worlds
I love Marmite and this should be something really special!!
I did a google search before and was amazed at the numerous "special editions" of Marmite - as well as the Guinness version they also did one with Champagne which had a staggering 0.3% alcohol content!!
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Does it work as a repellent if you smear it all over your body???
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Not sure about mosquitos but smearing it all over your body keeps the birds away.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I've yet to find it in our local Makro store, but I do find that you need to do a trawl of the isles as they do have some surprisingly good stuff in for a short period of time. I guess it depends on whether they have a surplus in their main warehouse (wherever that is).

I'm reminded of our visit to Dunedin (NZ) a couple of years ago. We had a tour around Speight's brewery, and the guide told us that the yeast was sold to the Marmite factory in Christchurch. Unfortunately, the Marmite factory was damaged in the earthquake and I guess the yeast (which needs to be processed when it's pretty fresh) had to be dumped. I thought to myself what a wonderful combination - great tasting beer and the by-product being used to make my favourite snack. :D

VS

PS: Siani: Those pics really did make my mouth water. Time for a little pre-midnight snack methinks... :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Read the thread and went and did the business

Marmited now so I'm a happy bunny

:munch: :munch:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Marmite is so wonderful...they even have produced a pot with a solid silver hallmarked lid!!
imagesCA7D2B4J.jpg
imagesCA7D2B4J.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
Also try cheese on toast with Marmite.....the ultimate feast...not to be shared :P
untitled7.png
untitled7.png (83.5 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

C'mon Mozzies..... :guns:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Siani wrote:Also try cheese on toast with Marmite.....the ultimate feast...not to be shared :P
untitled7.png
You're missing out Siani, Cheese on Toast?!!..... Marmite on toast topped with "Welsh Rarebit" - now, there's a proper feast!! :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

pharvey wrote:
Siani wrote:Also try cheese on toast with Marmite.....the ultimate feast...not to be shared :P
untitled7.png
You're missing out Siani, Cheese on Toast?!!..... Marmite on toast topped with "Welsh Rarebit" - now, there's a proper feast!! :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: You're absolutely right. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

pharvey wrote:
untitled7.png

Great stuff Pharvey..."Welsh Rarebit" known to the Welsh speaking locals as "Caws pob Cymreig gyda marmite" :mrgreen:

Although...they do not have many Mosquitoes (mosgitos) in Wales! Still better to be safe than sorry :mrgreen:

Keep eating the Marmite :thumb:

For those that want to try to real Welsh Rarebit......Caws Pobi - Traditional Welsh Rarebit Recipe

Welsh Rarebit

Welsh rarebit is perhaps the most famous Welsh dish of them all and one which, along with Irish Stew and Scottish Haggis, travelled the world over.

There is much debate as to where the name derives from. Some say it comes simply from ‘rare’ (lightly cooked) and ‘bit’ (small portion) others believe it derives from the traditional Welshman’s inability to catch a rabbit leaving him to use cheese as a poor alternative!

Ingredients

For the rarebit

225g/8oz Pembrokeshire Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar – grated.
1 tablespoon Welsh butter
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 level teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons flour
4 tablespoons Welsh beer (or milk)
shake of pepper
4 slices bread toasted on 1 side only

To make the rarebit:

Put the Pembrokeshire Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar, flour, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, butter and pepper into a saucepan. Mix well and then add the beer or milk to moisten. Do not make it too wet. Stir over a gentle heat until all is melted, and when it is a thickish paste, stop stirring, and swivel it around the saucepan, which it will do quite easily. Leave to cool a little, and meanwhile toast the bread on one side only. Spread the rarebit over the untoasted side and brown under a hot grill. This mixture can be made and kept in the refrigerator for several days if required. Sweet white wine can be used instead of beer and gives a good flavour.

bon appetit...or appetit da :)as they say in Wales!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If I had the above recipe discussion with a group of Thais, they would probably be appalled that I was cooking a rabbit. Would be a comedy festival trying to get them to pronounce it correctly. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
fft100 wrote:found it in Tescos. 125g was 220baht and the 250g was 320 baht. all of which is a huge mark up compared to the UK, but obviously they are selling well as each size had a 3 wide display. i bought the large size.

btw, if anyone can find better prices in thailand, then please post here.
I'm in Makro tomorrow and its on my list (assuming they sell it that is)?
Well I went to Makro today but couldn't find any marmite but fairly certain they stock it at Villa Market and HH H&B as well as Tesco.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

prcscct wrote:If I had the above recipe discussion with a group of Thais, they would probably be appalled that I was cooking a rabbit. Would be a comedy festival trying to get them to pronounce it correctly. :D Pete :cheers:
Pete...Rarebit is melted cheese on toast while Rabbit is a long eared animal which lives in burrows.
Yes it is confusing....the English language..... :banghead:
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

update on marmite prices.

If you get the Berjaya air plane down to KL, then pop into Suria KLCC mall (under petronas towers). In the basement is a supermarket, which given the location is probably not the cheapest in Malaysia. But whilst looking for strawberries (the egyptian ones there were cheap and excellent) my 5 year old spotted 500g jars of Marmite.

The price ? Equivalent to just under 300 baht for 500g. In Tescos here , 250g is 320 baht and 125g is 220 baht. I guess its the high import tariffs on 'luxury' goods that accounts for it.
MrDC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrDC »

I use the gren wax thingie u can buy at 7-11. Pretty harmless stuff for the skin, it also helps after uve been "bitten". No more itching.