LCL Surgery

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
TomTom55

LCL Surgery

Post by TomTom55 »

So I may require LCL surgery on my knee, I am not sure yet, I am pretty sure I have an LCL injury but it may not be a level 3 which requires surgery, levels 1 and 2 do not. I know this question can have such a broad answer, but lets say at Bangkok hospital in HH, what type of price would I be looking at do you think?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: LCL Surgery

Post by Takiap »

I'm not sure what Bangkok Hospital would charge, but Hua-Hin Hospital would most likely be a fraction of the cost, and from what I been told by Farang who have had to spend some time there, the services and facilities are very good. They also have private rooms and etc but as far as I know those have to be booked in advance.

BTW: they have all the regular modern equipment there now, including scans and etc. It's no longer the same as it once was. Certainly worth checking out, and especially if you don't have medical insurance.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

Yea I was kind of avoiding on the Hopsital up on soi 10 because it is not just a minor thing, it's surgery, so I want something clean and reliable. Getting a sore throat checked out cheaply is ok but cheap surgery needs mulling over a bit lol.

I really should look into getting some medical insurance tbh, I have been to hospital 7=8 or so times in as much as 5 years being here. Any range of prices on that type of thing? I am fairly young if that makes it any cheaper :p

I will look into Hua Hin hospital, I am guessing Sao Paulo would still be a lot more expensive as well.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

To put your mind at ease regarding Hua-Hin hospital - I have never heard a bad story yet, while I have heard several regarding the other two players in Hua-Hin, and especially SP. If it makes you feel any better, Hua-Hin hospital is also the hospital which will be used by the King should he need medical attention while here in Hua-Hin.

Each to his own, but if I need urgent medical care, it will either be Hua-Hin Hospital or if possible, Petcharat which I've always been very pleased with. I'm sure other posters will be along shortly to confirm the latter.

As with many things in life, more expensive doesn't always equate to better.

My last experience of SP was a dual pricing system applied even to a Thai who is pregnant from a Farang; dirty toilets, and a doctor wearing sneakers. :shock: Where I come from, doctors are at least meant to look like doctors. :D Also, why on earth should a Thai national pay a Farang price because she's giving birth to a mixed race child. Obviously money the the main focal point, with medical care coming in at second place.

Bangkok Hospital: I can really comment although I must say their private rooms look great in the brochures. Maybe I'll go there for a short break one of these days. :thumb: Even a mini bar for keeping a few beers chilled. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

I was just thinking of the waiting times to get seen to, A&E is different but just to see a doctor of some kind at the hospital near soi 10 can take hours. I have had stitches twice at that hospital, can't complain, had then once at SP, can't complain apart from the price and at Bangkok Hospital I have been there to see doctors, very clean and good service IMO
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tom, I don't remember the thread, but there is a post on here somewhere from Mr Plum where he states he had a long wait at either Bangkok Hospital or San Paulo because the doctor hadn't finished seeing his patients at Bangkok Hospital.

That said a lot to me. I'm currently being treated by Bangkok Hospital, and it is very expensive. When this treatment is complete, I will definitely try Hua Hin Hospital next time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote:Tom, I don't remember the thread, but there is a post on here somewhere from Mr Plum where he states he had a long wait at either Bangkok Hospital or San Paulo because the doctor hadn't finished seeing his patients at Bangkok Hospital.

That said a lot to me. I'm currently being treated by Bangkok Hospital, and it is very expensive. When this treatment is complete, I will definitely try Hua Hin Hospital next time.

Tom Tom and BB - I may very well be wrong, but I think Hua-Hin Hospital now has a fast track service for Farang, including a translator should you need it. Like I say, I'm not certain about this but I'm almost certain this has been mentioned on the forum before.

My last visit was very quick and efficient, and from what I researched online, everything was done just as it would have been had I been overseas.

PS: if you enter the hospital through the main door in front, just keep walking to the opposite side and you'll see an office set aside for us strange Farang. :laugh:

As I've mentioned before, if it's not an emergency, then you might want to consider Petcherat in Phetburi. A very good reputation and reasonable fees.

MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Big Boy wrote:..there is a post on here somewhere from Mr Plum where he states he had a long wait at either Bangkok Hospital or San Paulo because the doctor hadn't finished seeing his patients at Bangkok Hospital.
It was a long wait at San Paulo waiting for the surgeon from Hua Hin. With hindsight I would have been better going straight to Hua Hin hospital at a reduced cost.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:As I've mentioned before, if it's not an emergency, then you might want to consider Petcherat in Phetburi. A very good reputation and reasonable fees.
I would agree with that - a very nice hospital. Mind you, they make you wear pink pyjamas :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

Hmm ok thanks everyone. I have not been to hospital in quite a few months so I assume Hua Hin Hospital has changed somewhat in that time. A fast track system for farang sounds amazing and also a translator if needed, I can speak Thai pretty well but when it comes to very specific and technical terminology it could come in handy.

I wonder, where has the money come form to spur this on? Could it be that the current government has done something wonderful and correct, a rare occasion if I do say so myself!
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

An older friend of mine has used Hua Hin Hospital a lot over the last couple of years. He has twice been an in patient and says the whole service is excellent. They built a new wing a few years ago and use this for private patients. He says the rooms are like a nice hotel room and the nurses are very nice. Doctors are very good and costs very reasonable.
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

heartofmidlothian wrote:An older friend of mine has used Hua Hin Hospital a lot over the last couple of years. He has twice been an in patient and says the whole service is excellent. They built a new wing a few years ago and use this for private patients. He says the rooms are like a nice hotel room and the nurses are very nice. Doctors are very good and costs very reasonable.
Yea I have been there plenty of times, once I went there as my GF had a very serve allergic reaction to some medication, twice for separate incidents involving stitches and another time for electro-therapy on my left hand as I had a condition named 'Saturday Night Palsy'. It is where you pass out or sleep with all of your weight on a part of your body, normally after drinking, and it restricts the blood to said area to the extent nerve damage is done. I was with a numb and floppy hand for 4 months, the electro therapy did nothing so I stopped going and just took vitamin B-12 instead.

Anyway I am not sure yet if I need surgery, I am going to wait until the end of the month to see if it has gotten any better, if not then I will head over. Still the question remains, does anybody have any rough estimate at how much such a thing could set me back? I really should invest in insurance, I have been hear enough years without it now.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you live in the area,why not call in and ask them - much better to get it from the horses mouth, so to speak!!
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Can we back up--who told you that there is a surgical proceedure to help this condition???
I have real doubts about that.
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

Dr Mike wrote:Can we back up--who told you that there is a surgical proceedure to help this condition???
I have real doubts about that.
http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee ... n_full.php