Raw Milk - What are your thoughts

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Raw Milk - What are your thoughts

Post by Takiap »

A few interesting comment, and pretty much what I was expecting. :D

Personally I fall into the "milk is good for you" camp, and yes, give me raw milk any day. I guess I trust a small time farmer far more than I trust large companies, and like Mr P has said, if the locals can drink it, then I am happy to use it as well, just as I'm happy to use meat, poultry and fish bought at the markets.

These days I don't often use the markets though, but only because those which are close by have very little choice, and they have become very overpriced.

The farmer I get my milk from has a small herd of very healthy looking cows which go out to graze during the day, but they are given feed during milking sessions. I might be wrong, but I honestly don't think he spends half his life giving his cows injections so I'm not really concerned about that at all. And, when I say the milk is fresh, I mean very fresh, usually about 10 minutes old. :thumb: :thumb:

As an added bonus, I drive a few hundred meters more and I get my goat meat too, and yes, all the goats are free range. :thumb: The meat makes a good curry, but cutting off all the white bits on sinew takes time. :shock:

Siani........taking calcium in any form as an adult has very little, if any beneficial impact on preventing or dealing with osteoarthritis. It's when you are a child that calcium is very important. Let's not forget, if doctors really knew what causes osteoarthritis, then nobody would ever get it in the first place, or at the very least, we would see a significant decline in the number of cases.

Worried about cancers and the like? you should try Googling some of the common ingredients found in cosmetics and other things like shampoos, soaps and even toothpastes. Then add to that toxic sludge all the other wonderful things which are added to foods and etc. Ever wondered why some bread lasts for days on end before it spoils?

Anyway, the sun will soon be coming up so I'll be enjoying my homemade raw milk yogurt along with some toast with butter and of course, two fried eggs. This will be followed by at least three or four cups of coffee. Now, that's a good start to the day, other than the fact that I can't be bothered frying some bacon.

Might not be the healthiest diet, but at least I can rest in peace knowing that I'll never see the day where I need someone to change my diapers. :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Vital Spark wrote:It was a blazing June afternoon, and the buffet was sitting out all afternoon for the guests. A day later, or maybe it was the same evening, some of the guests came down with serious food poisoning - including a pregnant aunt.
I have been poisoned seriously on two occasions here for the same reason. Once by meat, once by seafood. I probably would have died if not for emergency treatment. I still eat meat and seafood but make sure it is fresh and not been left standing too long.

Not sure I would drink raw milk unless the farm it came from was clean, they washed the cow's teats with Dettol and the farm hand bathed in hydrogen peroxide, before milking.

The fearmongers have done their job well.
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Some what related but not the same I know, sorry if this is going off topic too much but does anybody try the Paleo diet here?

Grass fed cows and meat that feed "naturally" are very important and the comment about cows grazing caught my attention.

I have been reading about this "lifestyle choice" for a while and wanting to try it out but worried about food in Thailand being able to meet the "guidelines".

To add, I only eat from the markets...as a choice to support smaller business and keeping the produce local and the stuff you get in the larger chains comes from who knows where and has been stored for who knows how long? The fly's dont bother me as I'll be cooking the meat anyway and washing very carefully. But if its local and small time its less likely to have had a cruel life and been fed hormones.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Cozza.......Most of the beef sold at the markets comes from cows raised in the nearby vicinity, and are those which you see grazing on the side of the roads. I'm not sure about all farmers, but those which live up our way don't give their cows anything apart from straw and pineapple leaves when it's that season.

Pig farmers might be a different game altogether since it's big business in Thailand, so who knows what the pigs are given.

I wouldn't give the Thais tooooo much credit for "safe" vegetables though because from what I've read and been told, they are very heavy handed with pesticides and etc.

If you've ever grown any of your own veggies in Thailand and you've not used any sprays, you will soon realize that the veggies in the markets are not grown in the same manner. :thumb:

As far as your diet plan is concerned, I think there is one member on here who follows it, but I might be mistaken. Maybe he'll see this thread and respond.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Unless you grow your own I would say it is virtually impossible to find uncontaminated food. Third world markets can be a dumping ground for irradiated products. All veggies from China I would consider suspect.

The 'No Food' diet is protective.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I am drinking more soy milk now. At first I dis not like the taste but have got to like it. I do wish they would not add sugar, but hey, this is Thai.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There is a brand(s) without sugar. I'll confirm tomorrow and post. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Dr Mike wrote:I am drinking more soy milk now. At first I dis not like the taste but have got to like it. I do wish they would not add sugar, but hey, this is Thai.

Maybe have a read through this article, but read the complete article since it makes reference to a number of medical journals:

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soy ... ve-effects

And some more......

TOP TEN REASONS TO AVOID SOY

1) Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins or “antinutrients”. First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.

2) These inhibitors are not deactivated during cooking & processing. Test animals fed these inhibitors developed enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer.

3) Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.

4) 99% of soy is genetically modified and it among the highest contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.

5) Soybeans are high in phytic acid, a substance that blocks the uptake of the essential minerals calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc, in the intestinal tract.

6) Soy products contain high levels of aluminum, leached from the aluminum tanks in which they are acid washed and processed at high temperatures.

7) Nitrites, which are potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying of soy.

8) Soy Protein Isolates, which are shown to enlarge the pancreas and thyroid and increase fatty acid deposits in the liver.

9) Soy contains toxic isoflavones.

10) Soy foods have a high concentration of goitrogens which block production of thyroid hormones.