Pedicure & Foot Massage Hygiene

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Pedicure & Foot Massage Hygiene

Post by Siani »

I have had many pedicures in my lifetime. As I get older I find it good to keep the old feet in good order.
I went a new place in the UK last week prior to my hospital appointment to get my feet looking ok. There is a small nail place in the town which opened about a year ago, it is run by Chinese who originally come from Hong Kong. I was astonished to find how good it was and also it got me thinking :idea: I have had lots of pedicures in Thailand and sometimes I do wonder about the Hygiene levels there. I used to frequent a good massage place in HH. They used to soak my feet in a plastic bowl before the pedicure. I now wonder how sterile the bowl was, also if was disinfected between clients. The nail clipping tools were on a tray, sharp tools which can nick you feet by accident. I have often had the odd small cut in the past. I also thought back to a time when I had a foot massage in a back street in Phuket. When I arrived the massage man was already finishing off another client. He put me in a chair and I sat watching the end of the foot massage. After he had finished with the client he put the little green cloth he was using over a rail to dry off :shock: There did not seem to be other towels or cloths on display, just the lot on this rail. It crossed my mind to how many times had he used these cloths on different people.
My new Chinese lady cleans all the instruments with special cleaner after using each one, then putting the instrument back in a case, sterile and clean. When she does the hard skin bit, a brand new blade is used every time and thrown away after each client. The foot bath is scrubbed after each client. A huge pile of clean rolled up towels are on the side, after each client put into a big laundry basket, so no mistakes.
What I am getting at is that awful illnesses can be carried via blood, that is why hospitals are so careful with "sharps". I know I am fussy, but it is something to think about.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pedicure & Foot Massage Hygiene

Post by margaretcarnes »

Good point Siani - although I think there's probably more risk of infection than disease - especially in Thailand where any cuts to feet need to be treated carefully IMO.
That said I've only ever had one small cut from an over zealous Thai wielding nail clippers, and always carry a tube of Amoxycillin there. And if you think about it the water they soak your feet in itself is very unlikely to be sterile anyway.
Maybe the best advice for people is to never have pedicures (or fish nibbling) in the LOS if they have any cuts or abrasions on their feet at all, and of course to avoid them altogether if they are diabetic.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

margaretcarnes wrote:Maybe the best advice for people is to never have pedicures (or fish nibbling) in the LOS if they have any cuts or abrasions on their feet at all, and of course to avoid them altogether if they are diabetic.
Tsk! :tsk: Are you qualified?

Had my first salon nail-clipping yesterday and was impressed at the pampering. Didn't consider the hygiene issue but any puncturing of the skin in a tropical climate has to be risky.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

MrPlum wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:Maybe the best advice for people is to never have pedicures (or fish nibbling) in the LOS if they have any cuts or abrasions on their feet at all, and of course to avoid them altogether if they are diabetic.
Tsk! :tsk: Are you qualified?

Had my first salon nail-clipping yesterday and was impressed at the pampering. Didn't consider the hygiene issue but any puncturing of the skin in a tropical climate has to be risky.
Mr P anyone knows you don't have to be qualified :mrgreen: Mags is quite right in what she says, it is common knowledge.
I am not so worried about the water or walking bare footed etc. in the salon. What the main issue for me is nail clippers and other instruments not being sterile. Should the previous client be HIV or suffer form other disorders it could "maybe" be transmitted via the implements? Before you ask me....no I am not qualified :duck:
My mother caught Hepatitis while having treatment for acupuncture :roll: It was transmitted by an unhygienic needle! :guns: