my son has hand mouth foot disease

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

my son has hand mouth foot disease

Post by jingjoe »

My son has hmfd, he has blisters in his mouth and small marks on his feet,apart from the discomfort when he eats or drinks he has no other side affects,no high fever.
Im chief baby sitter while his moms at school,he's playing happily,its been 3 days.Is this as bad as it gets or will it flare up later,any other parents dealing with this.
Seems to be no worse than chicken pox,
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: my son has hand mouth foot disease

Post by GLCQuantum »

Take him to a doctor and he/she will be able to inform you properly.

I must add that, this certainly isn't the place to be discussing (and asking for 'comparisons' of) medical issues concerning young family members.

Ask at the doc's...I hope your son gets well soon. :cheers:
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

GLCQuantum wrote:Take him to a doctor and he/she will be able to inform you properly.

I must add that, this certainly isn't the place to be discussing (and asking for 'comparisons' of) medical issues concerning young family members.

Ask at the doc's...I hope your son gets well soon. :cheers:
from what the teachers told me and from reading on the net,there is nothing doctors can do,
it will clear his body in 7 to 10 days,similar to chicken pox,i wasn't after a diagnosis,more a comparison of how severe or not other parents kids had/have experienced.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This happens every year at many if not most schools here. A few kids have had it at my daughters IS each year out of the last 7. My daughters had it once and it didn't make her very sick at all, just uncomfortable. No special treatment except children's pain killers if needed, and some disinfecting/numbing kids mouthwash or spray to ease any mouth pain.

When it happens the school is scrubbed and disinfected top to bottom over a weekend. Not much else you can do. Important that the youngsters get into the habit of washing hands after using the toilet, without exception. I'm sure he'll be fine in a few days. If he is in school, important that you report the condition to the school so that they can initiate appropriate notification/cleaning measures. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

cheers pete,kindy was closed for a day to scrub down and disinfect,they seem quite health conscious there,as soon as he is dropped off i hear them say "wash your hands" before anything else.
it does seem quite common here,especially after the rainy season.
Glad to hear his mild case his common too and we probably won't be in for any surprises
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

My daughter had this when she was 2.5. Apart from being pretty uncomfortable and kept scratching she was fine. Some paracetamol and ibuprofen for kids (usually liquid) will help.