Mental health dept warns Thai youth over 'selfie' addiction

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Mental health dept warns Thai youth over 'selfie' addiction

Post by buksida »

The Department of Mental Health has warned young people who are obsessed with the popular "selfie" trend that they could lose self-confidence and that the addiction could have a negative impact on their life and work.

The selfie narcissistic culture is popular among local internet users, especially in the teenage and student groups, who post photographs of themselves online in a bid to seek approval and attention, department deputy director-general Panpimol Wipulakorn said in a statement released on Sunday.

She claimed such behavior could lead to mental health problems in future, especially related to self-confidence, and this could unexpectedly cause a negative effect on a person's everyday life, future career and even the country’s development.

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Thought: I have often wondered about the Asian obsession of taking self photos, must be something a little loose up top to find such an act so gratifying ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Mental health dept warns Thai youth over 'selfie' addict

Post by STEVE G »

It's not just in Asia, you can't go anywhere in Europe now without seeing youngsters taking pictures of themselves. They don't seem to do quite as much posing as Thai kids do though.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I would be far more concerned about this new Internet craze Neknomination

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 17078.html

Kendo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I don't think that it is only the young who do this. I think its a fad, it will pass.
One thought. If like me you like good aim and shoot cameras, buy one now. They may be going the way of polaroid and kodak
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"She claimed such behavior could lead to mental health problems in future, especially related to self-confidence, and this could unexpectedly cause a negative effect on a person's everyday life, future career and even the country’s development."

Come on, the next thing we'll hear is that selfies are a threat to national security! :roll: Where is the part that the kid may just have a big ego? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source