A "Healthy Tan" is an Oxymoron.

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
dozer
Ace
Ace

A "Healthy Tan" is an Oxymoron.

Post by dozer »

There is no such thing as a healthy tan, any tan means damaged skin. It's the body's attempt to prevent further damage to skin cells.

In the last 10 years, I have lost two good friends here in Hua Hin to skin cancer. They both loved the sun and they were both aware of the danger, but they continued to seek the ultimate tan. They would laugh at me when we played golf or were out cycling, as I am always well cover up.
Attachments
aa tan.jpg
aa tan.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: A "Healthy Tan" is an Oxymoron.

Post by Pleng »

dozer wrote:There is no such thing as a healthy tan, any tan means damaged skin. It's the body's attempt to prevent further damage to skin cells.
As you say, it's the body's way of attempting to protect (further) damage.

That being said it could be argued that having a tan reduces the overall risk of burning, as you already have built up some kind of natural protection and therefore is healthy to have.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Everything in moderation,most of us do overdo it especially when we are young though. Skin cancer rates are rocketing( as is oral cancer) on a positive note moderate exposure to sunlight has beneficial effects due to vitamin D levels. -- osteoporosis is much less common in California than it is in the UK . Likewise high incidence of MS in UK ,ESP' in Shetland Isles.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Pleng wrote:As you say, it's the body's way of attempting to protect (further) damage.

That being said it could be argued that having a tan reduces the overall risk of burning, as you already have built up some kind of natural protection and therefore is healthy to have.
As a young surfer and sailor during the era when people attempted to get as tan as they could, I found laying in the sun really boring. But also knew that a 'base layer' tan was the best backup defense against a burn. Decades later when I first saw a dermatologist about a funny looking mole I asked him about the base tan theory. He said burns cause far more damage than tans. Because few are fanatical about always staying covered and/or SPFed while doing something fun outside, he thinks base layers do less damage than burns in the long run.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Pleng wrote:
dozer wrote:There is no such thing as a healthy tan, any tan means damaged skin. It's the body's attempt to prevent further damage to skin cells.
As you say, it's the body's way of attempting to protect (further) damage.

I've just read a few research reports. Seems you can get skin cancer from sunbeds and the like. What does seem to be agreed is that starting with 2 to 10 mins in the sun per day and gradually increasing the time will give you a tan which then becomes protective against further exposures to the sun. So 'Healthy tan'......... debatable.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

The damage is often done in childhood with many cases of skin cancer caused by over-exposure and sunburn only showing up 20-30 years later. Maybe because there was less education about the dangers when the baby boomers were being exposed to the UV rays.