Gout, Arthritis or something else?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Gout, Arthritis or something else?

Post by NOKYAI »

Stop not stomp......don't you just love spell checks!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thought it was the cider talking!

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I wish! I'm in the UK until the w/e and still at work :-(
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Yeah but you'll still be there 1 week before me! On a more serious note, people often talk about 'beer' and gout, but do they mean the bottled lager stuff as well or just like proper bitter and traditional ale? Otherwise it's sounds like it's Vodka & Apple juice for me

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

If you are concerned about gout then increase your intake of vitamin C as gout is a build up of uric acid in joints and vitamin C helps dispel it.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I drink Tart Cherry juice. It's pricy but good for you for many other reasons too, just google it. It is one of those Superfoods they talk about. I buy it at Villa, but it is around 379 for 1 bottle!
YNWA
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Villa?

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Gout, Arthritis or something else?

Post by huahin4ever »

thecolonel wrote:Villa?

Villa Market.
YNWA
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I use Allopurinol, which is quite expensive in Europe, but here I get a generica (Alloric) for 2 Baht per 100mg tablet.
I've been on Allopurinol since March and my gout is GONE!

Forget the old wives tales and mumbo jumbo about what to eat or not to drink - this stuff works, and without any lifestyle adjustments.

Only caveat is that the dosage has to be calculated from the results of occasional blood tests - get the dosage wrong and the drug can have the opposite effect, or so I'm told..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Interesting, and you buy(and get tested for) this in HH? Also would be interested to know if you can take this as prevention or must only be taken on flare up?

uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

For me, my UK doctor did a blood test and then put me on 100mg/day. Two months later I had another blood test, and on the basis of that, my doctor reckoned 200mg/day would be better. I've had another blood test and will see my doctor soon before heading back to Thailand.

My impression is that this is a textbook exercise as far as my doctor is concerned, so a Thai doctor should be able to follow the same procedure.

I have Diclofenac to deal with any gout symptoms, and have only used it twice since I started the Allopurinol - once was a small twinge after my birthday bash, when I ate a 56oz steak, and the other time when I forgot to take the medcation one day and tried to catch up over the following two days - see-saw dosage seems to be a bad thing to do..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

thecolonel wrote:Interesting, and you buy(and get tested for) this in HH? Also would be interested to know if you can take this as prevention or must only be taken on flare up?

If the uric acid is too high, you should take it before you get a gout attack. If you take it too late the attack might even get worse.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

uncle tom wrote:For me, my UK doctor did a blood test and then put me on 100mg/day. Two months later I had another blood test, and on the basis of that, my doctor reckoned 200mg/day would be better. I've had another blood test and will see my doctor soon before heading back to Thailand.

My impression is that this is a textbook exercise as far as my doctor is concerned, so a Thai doctor should be able to follow the same procedure.

I have Diclofenac to deal with any gout symptoms, and have only used it twice since I started the Allopurinol - once was a small twinge after my birthday bash, when I ate a 56oz steak, and the other time when I forgot to take the medcation one day and tried to catch up over the following two days - see-saw dosage seems to be a bad thing to do..

I'm on the same, 100mg Alupurinol daily just about holds it at bay, if I have had a bit of a session on the beer, I might need a couple of diclofenic to bring it back under control.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Or if I have hit the Dusit seafood buffet I might take 200mg Alupurinol
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

huahin4ever wrote:I drink Tart Cherry juice. It's pricy but good for you for many other reasons too, just google it. It is one of those Superfoods they talk about. I buy it at Villa, but it is around 379 for 1 bottle!ImageImageImage
that's cheaper than having gout. if you have gout why would you want to keep eating and drinking the things that gave you gout? doesn't make sense to me. :idea: