Nasty gastro bug

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Nasty gastro bug

Post by uncle tom »

Over the years I've had various food related issues - no more, I think than anyone else. Typically this is a bad reaction, classic symptons and after basic medication, all gone away within 36 hrs.

Earlier this year I got a nasty that was less extreme in symptons than some I've had, but the b*gger wouldn't go away. Three days down the line I tried nuking it with an antibiotic and that worked a treat.

Now I seem to have picked up the same bug again - it's trademark, apart from the obvious, is making you fart like you would not believe possible.

I've now tried the same remedy, and it seems to be working.

Symptoms: Stomach cramps, diarroea, then excessive flatulence, failure to respond adequately to immodium.

Sources:

1) A small western diner/bar in the centre of town.

2) A small Thai diner immediately across the road from the first.

Remedy:

1) Non prescription drugs (UK) failed.

2) Azithromycin, in high dosage (2000mg, one time) worked on first occasion. Now taking same drug in more moderate doses, 250mg pd, and seems to be working
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Nasty gastro bug

Post by Siani »

Do you drink beer? Sometimes beer can cause this problem. Do you exercise at all?

If it is really bad...maybe

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gastroente ... ptoms.aspx
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Read about activated charcoal pills for stomach problems and gas. It might be what you are looking for.

http://www.healthambition.com/benefits- ... tinal-gas/
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Do you drink beer?
Am a long time beer drinker, and know the consequences - this is on a wholly different level.
Read about activated charcoal pills
Tried charcoal on the first occasion - had no noticeable effect.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Why not see a doctor - ok you might have to pay to have a stool test, but at least you would get to the bottom of it (pun intended).
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Sounds like guardnerella (spelling) responds well to flagyl.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^^ You can get a stool test done very cheaply from the Hua Hin Lab Center on the Pala U Road. Drop by and pick up a container and drop it off the next day. They have a lab analyze it to determine if there is blood or any parasites in it.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

While metronidazole (Flagyl) and azithromycin (Zithromax) are both used to treat bacterial gut infections, they are most active against different types of bacteria. You may get lucky and kill off the target bug but you're more likely to wipe out your natural (good) gut flora that aid digestion, causing consequent problems or encourage resistant strains of other bacteria to grow.

You will know that antibiotics are quite useless against viruses and you could have picked up something that has caused a viral gastroenteritis (inflammation of the lining of the gut). More likely is a water-borne, single-cell parasite like cryptosporidium that certainly causes the type of symptoms you describe. However, if you're over 40 and are a moderate drinker who takes infrequent exercise and is in anyway overweight (i.e. most of us on this forum) then you are also at risk of colorectal cancer.

Cancer guidelines from around the world recommend screening for a number of cancers each year past 40 and it can be as simple as a stool sample, as already indicated. If they find something suspect (they will be looking for abnormal cells scuffed off the lining of the gut) then you may need to have an endoscopy (camera up the jacksy) to investigate further. It may just be a pesky bacterial infection but it's best not to take a risk for the sake of letting a professional have a closer look.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
The Enniscrone Pig
Novice
Novice

Post by The Enniscrone Pig »

Whilst stool tests are very informative the only effective diagnosis is an endoscopy and a gastroscopy.
You, OP, seem to be at an age where 'things' start to go wrong - unfortunately.
I had similar symptoms to you last October and tried all the home remedy medication(s).
I returned to Europe in early December 2013.
In February 2014 I had a severe attack of gout.
A blood test confirmed raised uric acid levels but also revealed that I was anaemic - why?
I was referred for an endoscopy in April which revealed a tumour in my descending colon.
I have since had surgery and feel much better but, the shadow of the 'five year survival rate' looms large.
Had I stayed in Thailand I dread to think of where I might be now.
On a lighter note, remember that gout can be a life saver.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I went through the 5 year regular testing after bladder cancer was diagnosed and treated here in Thailand. Mine was detected after a repeated infection failed to go away and full tests were made. Actually there was no connection between the two. Eight years later I am happy to make this post.....keep up your spirits.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Tip I learned from an army medic, drink a small glass 50-100mm of straight white vinegar, terrible to swallow due to the smell but it kills any bugs in the stomach in double quick time.

Of course this is for stomach bugs, gastro, diarrhea, even early stage dysentery etc, not if you have a serious condition and not be be taken regularly
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Obviously JJB knows what he's talking about when it comes to medical problems, but if you get yourself checked out by a reputable doc., and there are no serious problems, a natural cure for a tummy bug is turmeric. A teaspoon of ground turmeric (you can buy it in most Thai markets), mixed with a bit of water, works wonders for minor tummy problems (it's a natural anticeptic). There are no side effects, and it can sort out bloating and gut ache in about 30 minutes.

Hope you feel better soon,
VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You mean there's a reputable doctor in Thailand, wonders never cease
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

No, Steve, I don't believe there are (so I agree with you). Which is why I never go to them. However, if the OP has a recurring problem he should, perhaps, get it checked out. If I ever felt the need to go to a doctor here, I would certainly get not just a second, but a third opinion (after I'd Googled all their prognosis). I've heard too many stories of misdiagnosis to trust them.

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"