wax earplugs

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

wax earplugs

Post by Gérard »

Is it possible to find wax earplugs in Huahin ? and Where, if possible ?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: wax earplugs

Post by hhfarang »

I looked all over and could only find the foam ones. I bought some wax ones on my first trip back to the U.S. in 2005, but they only lasted about a year before they became unusable or not pliable any longer due to the fact that they collect body secretions from the ears and become pretty nasty.

A helicopter mechanic told me of a place on Sukhumvit Soi 22 in Bangkok called Eartone that mainly specializes in hearing aids but also make ear plugs out of a soft plastic (silicone?) material that are actually molded to fit your ear perfectly. They were 2k baht for a pair but I was never woken up by a loud motorcycle or soi dog barking again. I used them for 5 or 6 years with no problem. It felt weird sleeping without them here at first but now I'm used to it... very quiet all the time in my current neighborhood.

They look like this depending on the shape of your ear. If you have them made get your ears cleaned directly before the fitting if you want a good fit.
ear1.jpg
ear1.jpg (1.88 KiB) Viewed 812 times
ear2.jpg
ear2.jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 812 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
adammike

Post by adammike »

boots sometimes have them.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Thanks Guys !
I went to boots 2 days ago but they told me "mot" (sold out)... Nice pictures, I will show them to the people interested.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

If the wax plugs don't work out, I suggest the Laser Lite plugs from Howard Leight. I've been using them since 1998 when I moved onto a street with a fire station. These plugs defeat sirens, fighting neighbors, guest house drunks, you name it. I've tried many plugs. These are the most comfortable as well as the quietest. They're also among the longest lasting of the 'single use' earplugs. I use them for a week before they lose their snug fit.

Found on Amazon in bags of 50 (or more) individually wrapped pairs. Offered right now at 225 baht ($6.87) for a bag of 50 pairs from the vendor I used last.