Isaan Dish Linked to Cancer....

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
pharvey

Isaan Dish Linked to Cancer....

Post by pharvey »

And it happens to be one of my favorites...! :shock: :cry:

Deadly dish: the dinner that can give you cancer

"A local delicacy in north-east Thailand, made from raw fish, has been found to be behind a high incidence of liver cancer in the area, and doctors are trying to educate people about the risk.

The Isaan plateau of north-eastern Thailand is poor, dry, and far from the sea. Home to around one third of the country's population, most of them ethnic Lao in origin, it is renowned for its spicy and inventive cuisine, using whatever ingredients are available.

Where there are rivers or lakes, they use the smaller fish they catch in a pungent dish called koi plaa. The fish are chopped up finely, and mixed by hand with local herbs, lime juice and live red ants, and served up raw.

It is very popular, but also dangerous.

For decades, certain populations in the north-east have been known to have abnormally high levels of liver cancer.

In men it comprises more than half of all cancer cases, compared to an average of less than 10% worldwide.

The high prevalence has long been linked to infection by liver flukes, a kind of parasite, found in raw fish.

But it is only in the last decade that a serious effort has been made to get people to change their eating habits, by cooking koi plaa to kill the flukes before they eat it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33095945
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Isaan Dish Linked to Cancer....

Post by Takiap »

I just read this article a short while ago, but something similar has been posted on here before. In this most recent article, the author refers to the dish as "Koi Plaa" but from what I've read in the past, the cancer problem has more to do with "plaa ra" (spelling?) which is the raw fermented fish which is typically added to Som Tam Isaan, as well as to several other Isaan dishes.

I'm not trying to be funny, but if you have ever taken a proper sniff of some Plaa Ra, you will surely appreciate the fact that it could essentially be used as a biological weapon. Drop a few sacks of that stuff on Islamic State fighters and they'll run for their lives. Now, in my book, if something smells as bad as that, then my common sense tells me it is not fit for eating.

On a slightly different note, I pointed this article out to me MIL and FIL law. What response did I get? Need I even bother saying? As per usual, what the hell to researchers and doctors know. :banghead:

Fortunately for my nose, anything and everything that stinks is not permitted in my fridge, with Durian being the only exception, not that I would eat it though. :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

In Issan there are high numbers people that get liver cancer well above the average.
I would also factor in the eating of raw meats and the heavy usage of pesticides is also prevalent.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Takiap wrote:I just read this article a short while ago, but something similar has been posted on here before. In this most recent article, the author refers to the dish as "Koi Plaa" but from what I've read in the past, the cancer problem has more to do with "plaa ra" (spelling?) which is the raw fermented fish which is typically added to Som Tam Isaan, as well as to several other Isaan dishes.

I'm not trying to be funny, but if you have ever taken a proper sniff of some Plaa Ra, you will surely appreciate the fact that it could essentially be used as a biological weapon. Drop a few sacks of that stuff on Islamic State fighters and they'll run for their lives. Now, in my book, if something smells as bad as that, then my common sense tells me it is not fit for eating.

On a slightly different note, I pointed this article out to me MIL and FIL law. What response did I get? Need I even bother saying? As per usual, what the hell to researchers and doctors know. :banghead:

Fortunately for my nose, anything and everything that stinks is not permitted in my fridge, with Durian being the only exception, not that I would eat it though. :shock:

:cheers:
:lach:

I know you're not trying to be funny, but that was funny.