MATCH4LARA Appeal

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

MATCH4LARA Appeal

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB has just brought my attention to an item on Channel 3 News - the MATCH4LARA Appeal http://www.match4lara.com/.
Lara is a 24-year-old Chinese-Thai-Italian student passionate about human rights and working on refugee issues. She was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in December 2015, and will need a stem cell donor to save her life.

Her mixed heritage makes it extremely hard to find a stem cell donor as matching types are an inherited trait. Sadly her only brother is not a match. Only 3% of donors on the public stem cell registries are of mixed race. By joining a national bone marrow registry you can provide a potential gift of life to Lara and others like her in their time of greatest need.

This got me thinking, this appeal should be targetting families such as mine, where my offspring at least pass the first requirement i.e. mixed Euro/Asian race.

I will certainly be encouraging my son to put himself forward to see if he is a match, and I urge any of you with mixed Euro/Asian race kids of a donor age to do similar. It will take just a few minutes of your time, and imagine that feeling if you can actually save a person's life.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18