Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Post by HHTel »

According to what I've read, the pre-vaccination and the post injection are equally effective. So if you have a rabies jab as soon as possible after the bite then you're okay.

A worrying thing is that the incubation period for rabies can be less than a week or more than a year! Means a dog (or human) can go a long time before the symptoms kick in. Once they do then you're dead. Essential whatever the bite or other contact (dog licking a scratch, open wound, slobbering etc) that you get a rabies jab.

It should be mandatory for a dog's jabs to include a rabies immunisation. Expensive but that would solve the problem over time.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

[quote="HHTel"
It should be mandatory for a dog's jabs to include a rabies immunisation. Expensive but that would solve the problem over time.[/quote]

We have just completed the immunization for our dog. (2 injections and a check up) The cost at the Kasetsart University hospital was less than 500 bahtall up. Not sure how their pricing structure works with regards to size but that was the cost for a small dog.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:According to what I've read, the pre-vaccination and the post injection are equally effective. So if you have a rabies jab as soon as possible after the bite then you're okay.
When I was vaccinated, I was told that if bitten, or whatever, it would only give me an extra 12 hours to get to hospital. OK, my vaccination was over 10 years ago, so maybe things have moved on since then.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bluesky wrote:We have just completed the immunization for our dog. (2 injections and a check up) The cost at the Kasetsart University hospital was less than 500 bahtall up. Not sure how their pricing structure works with regards to size but that was the cost for a small dog.
We have the vet on a bike come in once a year to vaccinate our dogs against rabies - not expensive for peace of mind..

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The tessaban does make an annual effort to enable people to get their pets vaccinated during a week long program of free vaccinations. This year's program took place 24 - 30 April. I wonder how many people actually take advantage.

Sent from my P9 using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Problem is, I don't believe pets are the source of the problem.

I remember posting that the university vet hospital had a rabies day last year, where vaccination was also free.

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote:Problem is, I don't believe pets are the source of the problem.
I agree in part with your thoughts on this. Unfortunately not all pet owners are responsible in Thailand resulting dogs not being vaccinated, being on the lose and fighting with soi dog's. When the owner moves takes the infected dog to a new location providing a pathway for the spread of the virus.
Certainly responsible pet owners are not the source of the problem.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Paam
Novice
Novice

Post by Paam »

They already cull the dogs, we all know what happens to them.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

:roll: Not in Hua-Hin they don't...
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Hua Hin has been declared as a rabies stricken state following the spread of the disease.
Is this still the case?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've not seen an update, but I would guess the warning is still in place after such a short time - it would be surprising if the disease has been 100% eradicated so quickly.

Points 41; Position 18
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

The cull is not going very well, judging by the number of strays I seen around the place today.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

When at home in HH recently I took a couple of trips out on my bicycle, as I do when I can, and noticed a considerable increase in soi dogs around the area(west HH/Pranburi). The subject of rabies has always been at the back of my mind when confronting the dogs as they do like to target cyclists for some reason. I was wondering if there any other cyclists who have noticed this, and when attacked what means of defense do you use. I have considered a pepper spray or air horn carried on my bike, not sure if these will work, Any good ideas?

But yes I think a cull is needed now, or things will only get worse. I ride off the main roads as much as I can but that means disturbing sleeping soi dogs sometimes. GN.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Green Nomad wrote:When at home in HH recently I took a couple of trips out on my bicycle, as I do when I can, and noticed a considerable increase in soi dogs around the area(west HH/Pranburi). The subject of rabies has always been at the back of my mind when confronting the dogs as they do like to target cyclists for some reason. I was wondering if there any other cyclists who have noticed this, and when attacked what means of defense do you use. I have considered a pepper spray or air horn carried on my bike, not sure if these will work, Any good ideas?

But yes I think a cull is needed now, or things will only get worse. I ride off the main roads as much as I can but that means disturbing sleeping soi dogs sometimes. GN.
I always take a 4ft bamboo cane with me on my bike rides, normally the sight of the cane is sufficient for them to stop in their tracks - only once did I have to actually make contact with a brave one!!
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I had 5 shots for Rabies, when I was a young lad in my 20s.
The nurse said 4 was enough then gave me the 5th to be sure.
I was told that I am good life, but i really do not want to test that theory.
I seen a small girl get shots in her stomach after being bit by a rabid dog
and she was in a lot of pain.
I hope the problem is in better control by this winter
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.