Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Post by Big Boy »

Public Service Announcement ..

Posted by Hua Hin Police Station about 1 hour ago

Hua Hin has been declared as a rabies stricken state following the spread of the disease.

The district Livestock Development in Hua Hin made the announcement today after finding that the disease which started in Pranburi had spread which the area is connected to Hua Hin reported,For more information on rabies or any other public-health related topic or to report a biting incident, please contact The district of Livestock Development in Hua Hin 032-516-247

For the safety of pets and pet handlers, all animals must be on a leash or in a pet carrier..
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Post by Pleng »

So... are they planning to do anything about it...?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

And all the strays......
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:So... are they planning to do anything about it...?
I would guess so. They have warned people to be cautious which I would think is a proper first action. I've no idea what should happen next - are you?

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Wonderful! So not only is Hua Hin swarming with street dogs... pretty soon they'll all be rabid.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Unfortunately it may give the MIB an excuse to start fining people walking their dogs off leash. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Don't know. Can crocodiles contract rabies from ingesting possibly infected stray dogs? :violin:
วินเชนท์
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:
Pleng wrote:So... are they planning to do anything about it...?
I've no idea what should happen next - are you?
Mass cull of Soi dogs wouldn't be a bad start.
prcscct wrote:Unfortunately it may give the MIB an excuse to start fining people walking their dogs off leash. Pete
Good.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd guess there could be an element of culling in the area immediately affected, with strict monitoring of the situation thereafter. Any idea how long an area has to be clear before any restrictions are lifted?

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rabies always spikes in the hot season everywhere here. No idea why but it does, and this has been one hell of a hot season this year.

Yes, on a leash is good except when taking a dog for a romp on the beach to get some exercise. I guess the owner will get more exercise now as well running along side. :shock: :wink: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"Mass cull of Soi dogs wouldn't be a bad start."

Some years ago when in Nongkam (BKK) a rabid dog was loose in the village. Within 24 hours, the authorities arrived and killed every four-legged animal in the area. Sorted the problem!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:Yes, on a leash is good except when taking a dog for a romp on the beach to get some exercise. I guess the owner will get more exercise now as well running along side. :shock: :wink: Pete :cheers:
Interesting comment Pete. I'd like to think you're right, but don't see what difference being on a beach would make. Our big dog doesn't do running, so I could walk with her, while my son runs with our small dog. The medium dog won't come to the beach. Unfortunately, there are Soi dogs on the beaches.

We'll probably just use leashes anyway until the risk level drops.

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

It is not a pleasant experience if you get bitten by a dog suspected of carrying the rabies virus. My son was in that unfortunate position about 15 years ago in Chiangrai. He was bitten,and whilst the dog had been vaccinated the concerns were at the time that the dog may have been fighting with other rabid dogs in the area and still retained some of the virus in its saliva.Son was taken to hospital and advised to receive treatment requiring multiple injections based on his size and weight. He was a fairly big lad for his age (typical rugby union prop!) First injection he reacted and knocked the poor nurse over. They ended up having to sedate him to complete the process. He did make it quite clear that it was something he did not have to go through again.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is the advice pamphlet which is being given out - in Thai only I'm afraid.
rabid2.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been thinking about this, and does Hua Hin being declared a rabies stricken state mean that visitors will be required to have Rabies vaccinations when coming here, or their medical insurance could be void in the event of an incident?

I know those were conditions set when we visited Isaan a few years back - cost us the price of another airline ticket. I wasn't going to bother, but my father paid for peace of mind in the end.

Points 41; Position 18