Epsom salt

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Epsom salt

Post by Nereus »

Anybody know where I can buy Epsom Salt in Hua Hin? No, I do not want to drink it!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Re: Epsom salt

Post by T.I.G.R. »

You won't find it in Thailand. In my search for Epsom salt I grew to understand it is just plain salt.......pls let me know if you find out otherwise.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

It is magnesium sulphate. Spas and hair product manufacturers will use it. When I was told I could not get salt petre here I google translated it,, practiced saying it a few times and went to a shop just before you get to the road with the gold shops on the right hand side coming from Petchkasem. They will have it for sure.

Crazy 88
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

crazy88 wrote:It is magnesium sulphate. Spas and hair product manufacturers will use it. When I was told I could not get salt petre here I google translated it,, practiced saying it a few times and went to a shop just before you get to the road with the gold shops on the right hand side coming from Petchkasem. They will have it for sure.Crazy 88
Thanks Steve. Yeah I know what the correct name is and I printed it out in both Thai and English and sent my daughter to look in a Chinese Pharmacy near Soi 4 in Bangkok that according to the Internet has it. She claims they don't have it.

There is an online health shop in Phuket that claims they have it, but with postage it is over 500 Baht /Kg, so I have not bothered.

Sorry, can you please explain where you mean in Hua Hin, as I am a bit confused? Thanks.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Hi Nereus

It is either the night market soi or the next one heading north at the petchkasem end.

Crazy 88
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

T.I.G.R. wrote:You won't find it in Thailand. In my search for Epsom salt I grew to understand it is just plain salt.......pls let me know if you find out otherwise.
No mate, it is not just plain salt. if I find some I will post on here. :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If it's not for internal use (eg laxative) it might be available at an agricultural supplies shop. (I think it's used in mushroom farming.) Anyhow, there is one such shop on Chomsin Road, a bit up from Sa Song Road (pet food outside the store). If the shop person doesn't recognise the name magnesium sulphate, they may know it as dee kleua farang (ดีเกลือฝร่ัง).

As it is, or was, used as a laxative it may also be available at some pharmacies. Some of these old-fashioned things seem to be almost impossible to get now. I didn't have any luck when I was looking for borax or liquid paraffin (food grade). Good luck.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I'm told by "her that knows such things" that's it's available in many of the older Thai Chinese pharmacies and is packaged simply in blue plastic bag.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

It's also sometimes used in beer production! What are you up to Nereus :rasta:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote:It's also sometimes used in beer production! What are you up to Nereus :rasta:
I'm not telling you! You wouldn't tell us why you wanted potassium nitrate awhile ago, so there! :neener:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If the shop person doesn't recognise the name magnesium sulphate, they may know it as dee kleua farang
(ดีเกลือฝร่ัง).
Yes, I have that written down in both English and Thai. All the pharmacies know what it is, they just don't have it. :cheers:
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

It may not be of any help, but World Chemical shops stock it. It is listed on their website:
http://www.worldchemical.co.th/en/produ ... lfate.html

The problem is that their shops are in the North, Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Lampang, Lamphun & Pitsanulok.
If you know anyone going there, they could get it for you.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Nereus wrote:
Bristolian wrote:It's also sometimes used in beer production! What are you up to Nereus :rasta:
I'm not telling you! You wouldn't tell us why you wanted potassium nitrate awhile ago, so there! :neener:
I was trying a new diesel additive for my Tuna :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Felipesed1 wrote:It may not be of any help, but World Chemical shops stock it. It is listed on their website:
http://www.worldchemical.co.th/en/produ ... lfate.html

The problem is that their shops are in the North, Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Lampang, Lamphun & Pitsanulok.
If you know anyone going there, they could get it for you.
Thanks very much, Felipesed1. I do go through Pitsanulok from time to time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote:
Nereus wrote:
I was trying a new diesel additive for my Tuna :D
Why do you need an additive? Is the 3 point linkage not strong enough? :twisted: