Moving to Thailand

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
egeefay
Amateur
Amateur

Moving to Thailand

Post by egeefay »

We live in the United states and thinking of moving to Hua Hin...part time, at first and maybe full time if we like it.
I'd like to know what some of you folks living in Thailand have done regarding health insurance back home.

1. If you live in thailand more or less permanently, do you still carry your health insurance from your country of origin. Or did you cancel it outright and purchase a plan in Thailand. Or do you just plan on paying cash for your healthcare costs in Thailand

2. If you live in thailand only part of the year, do you maintain your monthly premiums back home as well as make insurance payments in Thailand.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Welcome to hospitals here.
Get your American insurance up to date.
PeteC

Re: Moving to Thailand

Post by PeteC »

egeefay wrote:We live in the United states and thinking of moving to Hua Hin...part time, at first and maybe full time if we like it.
I'd like to know what some of you folks living in Thailand have done regarding health insurance back home.

1. If you live in thailand more or less permanently, do you still carry your health insurance from your country of origin. Or did you cancel it outright and purchase a plan in Thailand. Or do you just plan on paying cash for your healthcare costs in Thailand

2. If you live in thailand only part of the year, do you maintain your monthly premiums back home as well as make insurance payments in Thailand.
The first thing you need to check is if your USA insurance carrier will honor your claims from a Thai doctor/hospital. Many policies do not cover overseas hospitalization or illness. Second, hospital and doctors here will not bill your USA insurance company directly. You pay them first then file your own claim. Third, there is a company here named BUPA which I think is part of Blue Cross/Shield out of the UK. They do insure expats and their premiums from what I've been told are very reasonable, maybe about 3,000 baht per month for coverage up to about 1,000,000 baht in hospitalization costs. Due a search for BUPA, which will lead you to the UK site and you will have options there to insure yourself through their worldwide plans (more expensive than their plans offered directly in Thailand). Then do a search for BUPA Thailand and you'll see what they offer. Visit one of their offices when you get here for further explanations. Last, if you have potentially serious health problems, get a medivac policy through your USA insurance company. My friend has one and I think it costs him about $250.00 per year. If something really serious happens, they will fly in and take you conus and treat you on the way. Pete