Hi, some newbie advice needed

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Nick NCFC

Re: Hi, some newbie advice needed

Post by Nick NCFC »

Well looks like I'm all set and will be heading to Hua Hin on the 18th of March. Looking at staying at Baan San Dao condo to start with while I look around for a permanent residence.

Does anybody know anything about this place? Would be interested in any views good or bad. I remember walking past it last year so no location but nothing else.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

There are a few, 7, reviews of Baan San Dao condo on TripAdvisor and all of them is very good.
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

Well finally I have managed to sort everything, I've handed my notice in and I'm all set to touchdown on my new life on April1st.

I have rented a pool house at avenue 88 for 3 months while I look about to find my ideal house and location. Have found this site very helpful in making my decisions so far and look forward to learning even more.

Hope to join the running club I have seen on here and one of the gyms if anyone has any advice on these it would be greatly appreciated. Not sure the way my beloved Canaries are playing I will need to find a bar showing their games but will definitely be hoping to find some like minded individuals to watch the World Cup with over a beer or 6.

Thanks to anyone who has given me advice and see you soon!
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Lots of places to rent in Hua Hin, apartments condos or houses. I rented a room at Sport Villa a few years ago and that worked out not to bad for a month or so. It is in the south tho and is a bit of a walk almost anywhere. I later managed to rent a condo, or townhouse unit on soi 94 that was back of the train tracks far enough so I didn't hear the trains at night. If you are after finer digs, here
are a couple of pics of a couple of houses, they are located a ways from the ocean tho, up in the slopes near a wat, in the south west part of the city. Not sure of the exact soi tho, and a bit pricy for me.
Stargeezer.
Attachments
HH House 3
HH House 3
phpLbtf6ePM.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 988 times
HH House 2
HH House 2
phpNCz6XnPM.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 988 times
HH house 1
HH house 1
phpbO0FRtPM.jpg (65.92 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Congratulations Nick, I did the same 2 years ago this month at age 51 and have no regrets about retiring here. Soi 88/94 is a good choice in my opinion although I think Avenue 88 is a bit far out for a permanent residence.

I will be watching the Canaries tonight also but I hope they get mauled by my Tigers again :naughty: Many friendly places to watch the footy with a bit of banter, I go most Sat and Sun depending on the games to Soi 80, 94 and occasionally town centre.

Good Luck :cheers: :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its good to to have a trial period for many reasons. Most people are happy in retirement but not all. Very few farang working in hh as opposed to bkk or pattaya, some men miss the structure of a working life, some are happiest with part time. I retired in my 50s, lasted 4 months and went back to work for another 10 years. You don't hear much about retirees who come here and return after a few years but it happens. One element that you don't have is the unhappy western wife, but believe it or not there are returning Thai wives who are not happy back in Thai and want to go back to where they settled. RENT for a year.
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

I am 48 so retiring pretty early worked hard all my life so it's a bit of a journey into the unknown hence the need to find a running club, gym, bar to watch the footy, golf club etc.

Don't want to be too far out of town but want to find a pretty nice house once we have spent enough time to be sure it's for me and my girlfriend. I am probably most worried about her as she has a pretty good job in England and as she's a bit younger than me is still keen on developing her career, she's an accountant in the UK working in the finance department of one of the largest training companies in Europe. So hope we can find her something suitable in and around Hua Hin.

Off to Carrow road soon and we really need to beat Hull (not sure I can call them the tigers) as really hope I don't watch us get relegated in my first few weeks in Hua Hin. Love banter with other fans but would hate to start on the back foot!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nick NCFC wrote:Love banter with other fans but would hate to start on the back foot!
You've got a long way to go until your back foot reaches my extremes :oops:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

read all the thread with interest, then hit the bit where you are taking a girlfriend here. good luck with that as it has been the downfall of many a man who came to Thailand with a partner.

Avenue 88 is fine to get your barings and only really 5 minutes from town
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

You've got a long way to go until your back foot reaches my extremes :oops:[/quote]

As a Norwich fan for 45 years I feel your pain brother.........
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

blue05 wrote:read all the thread with interest, then hit the bit where you are taking a girlfriend here. good luck with that as it has been the downfall of many a man who came to Thailand with a partner.

Avenue 88 is fine to get your barings and only really 5 minutes from town
She's Thai, however lived in the UK for a long time so sometimes moans like a western woman. We've spent quite a few months in Thailand before and has always gone well so I hope it continues to do so.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

With this scenario, girlfriend vs. wife. DO NOT BUY! You can find anything and everything to rent. All without costing you a fortune. It is way to early to buy in my opinion. Too many variables. And if she still finds the need to work, Bangkok is probably a better bet given her background. In Hua Hin the easiest thing you can do is buy a property. In Hua Hin the most difficult thing to do is sell a property. You will not "loose any face" by renting and I can assure you that you can rent even a mansion if that is your lifestyle. Why, because it is so hard to sell them. One last word, RENT.
Good Luck my friend.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

Well I'm all set at Heathrow and it's wheels up on my new life in 3 hours! Going through pretty much every emotion under the sun at the moment, excited, nervous, happy, sad but can't wait to start my new adventure.

Many thanks to all that have offered me wise words on this forum and if you see an idiot in a Norwich shirt next week looking for somewhere to watch the game please say hi and I'll buy you a beer.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

good luck Nick, I don't think you will regret the move
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I am wearing a Pompey shirt today, probably a Rangers one tomorrow and Trinidad the next. People here are not worried about the color of your shirt, just the colour of your money. Hope you don't find it too hot arriving at the warmer time of the year. Welcome to Hua Hin, enjoy.