My hello and introduction

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

My hello and introduction

Post by Taikka »

Hello everyone,
I've been following this forum for 3 years, but registered only a couple of weeks ago.
I and my family come to HH (somewhere between HH and cha-am, actually) for winter. Nice place for family.
By the way, I'm Russian (please, don't be afraid - I don't bite :D )
Among forums that discuss Hua hin and around I like this one for some reasons - first, it's a good opportunity for practicing English, second - it gives me the full picture of the things discussed. If you read only Russian forum, you have only Russian perspective and it can be one- sided and a kind of "flat". When you read a so called "English" point of view - you get absolutely another angle, and it is very interesting to compare.

Anyway, let's be friends!
Regards, taikka.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Re: My hello and introduction

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Hi & welcome to the forum all are welcome here. It is friendly and informative. Hope you enjoy it here.
:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Welcome and Hello, I don't bite either, American here.... (I have been known to nibble once in a while.. LOL) My Thai wife and I are heading over also for the holidays to our home in Hua Hin area and then relocating there next year.... Love the area and the people... Enjoy your extended holiday!!!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm American also and do bite occasionally (with words). I've met a few Russians who have moved here recently and it will be interesting to hear your perspective as some are afraid that the "mafia" from your country will come and ruin Hua Hin like they supposedly have or are doing in Pattaya and Phuket. The people from your country that I've met in Hua Hin are just like good people from anywhere else. Hard working, or retired (or vacationers) with family so I don't think you should all be painted with the same brush. By the way, a lot of people don't like "us" either. :D

Anyway welcome and I hope you enjoy Hua Hin. Please let us know your opinions and experiences.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Big hello to you Kaikka, & to your family also.. :thumb:
If you have the time to look through the many, many topics on this forum, then I'm sure there you will find the answers to any questions you may have about life here..good to have you aboard..
:cheers:
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Thanks for warm greetings to all ))

About russians... if you want MY opinion:
Those couple of hundreds or even thousands of russians in HH - this is zero, nothing - call it only a vanguard. The most of the army will come in 5-10 years, and here are the reasons for it:
1) I know what is like in Pattaya and Phuket - and I don't like it, like most of you. Russians that have spend one or two of there vacations there wouldn't go there for a long time-stay. For now most of russians that come to Thailand for more than 30 days, are:
1) mothers with children and grandmothers to stay for winter;
2) some interpreners trying to make business (property agency, restaurant, photography...) - you can count them on fingers in HH
3) freelancers that just like to change the place of life, trying to find something for themselves.
Those groups of russians that you may meet in Market Village, doing shopping and trying exotic food - those are usually the pocket tourists, leaving in a week or so.

Russians (I call russians all the former soviet union people) live mostly in "russian" villages and are not willing to communicate with other nationalities - and the main reason is the language barrier.

2) For russians the most affordable vacation is Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Spain. Thailand is rather expensive and far away. But even among my acquaintances, that have not yet come here, most tell me, that next vacation they will come to Thailand. As people get more money - they will come more.
3) Russian mafia wouldn't come to HH :guns: - too far and too boring :D But russian money and russian business - will. On my opiniom in maximum 10 years if you would like to be in business (no matter - bar, cafe, real estate, music school or car rental) - you will need russian advertising, russian-speaking staff and russian menu )) Otherwise your business will shut... But it is only my opinion.

I don't think HH will turn into Pattaya, but russians will come more from year to year.
And yes, prices for real estate will rise :naughty:
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Thanks Taikka for the insight from speaking from a point of knowing... I am always interested in knowing more about other cultures and understanding the inner workings of their thought processes... I and I am sure others appreciate the candid thoughts....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Hi - my wife and i are moving to HuaHin in November next year and are looking forward to it greatly. I have been following the forum since our first visit here a couple of years ago and have found it to be informative and friendly. We reside in Scotland at the moment and are especially looking forward to meeting and making friends of all nationalities. Regards to all.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Wonder what you did for a living dundrilling!!! Love the name btw, plenty of good folk here - and any from your line of work.

Nice to hear from Taikka - good insight into what may happen in the future - I have dealt with several Russian clients and find them similar to everyone else.

Cheers,

JW
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Jw -- one big clue,white coat hung up as well
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Dear forum members,
Our two months have come to an end and we move further - leaving next week and going to Singapore and in February - Australia.
It was a real pleasure to stay on this forum, sarcastic and wit, and to feel the real atmosphere of "expaty" Hua Hin. I am not talkative, so did not gain much messages, but i am really "read-ative", and forum was of great use.
Hope to "see" ( or "read") you all in good mood and good health the next winter.

Best regards,
Taikka.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Happy travels, see you next year.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Hi Taikka,

Welcome... I'm actually local Thai man here in Hua Hin, and I'm interested in many languages also Russian. If we have a chance to have a chat I'm pleased to teach you some Thai by the way you can teach me Russian.

Good Day!! :cheers:
bernadetB
Novice
Novice

Post by bernadetB »

Hi there! Nice to hear that from you. God luck! :)
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Hello to all! Will be back to Hua Hin by the end of January with the extended family (one more girl...) ;)
As usual, we stay in Blue Lagoon, and, as usual, you are welcome to ask any questions about Russians and Russia ))
I'm ready to help you with any "russian connected" issues, starting from menu translation to anything.