New Guy and need some travel advice?

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
MuayThaiPanda
Novice
Novice

New Guy and need some travel advice?

Post by MuayThaiPanda »

Hi guys I'm a new guy looking to visit Thailand for the first time in a few weeks and I've decided on going straight to Hua Hin for a specific Muay Thai gym called Sitjaopho.

The owner of the gym told me to use http://www.airporthuahinbus.com/ but I wanted to go into Bangkok and pick up some Muay Thai boxing gloves and gear since it's so cheap for the top name brands like Boonsport. But then I'd have to take a taxi either to Sai Tai Mai station or back to the airport to get on a VIP Bus?

The thing is It's usually more expensive to buy gear outside of Bangkok unless there is a good shop with good selection in Hua Hin? I think the cost of top name brand gloves are around 1200 Baht in Bangkok. Does anyone know what the prices are like for a pair of Fairtex, or Twins Special or Boon Sport gloves in Hua Hin?

Sorry for the all the questions, just would like to find an economical way of getting some gear and getting to Hua Hin.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New Guy and need some travel advice?

Post by Takiap »

If I were you, I would definitely get the gear you need in Bangkok. Hua-Hin doesn't have much at all to choose from.

Also, once you have got all the stuff you need, just jump on a Skytrain to Victory Monument, or take a taxi (very cheap), and then get a minibus down to Hua-Hin. Mini buses depart every hour and they are a lot more central compared to the sill South Bus Station.

Hope that helps

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

See below Takiap....vans no longer going from Victory Monument.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33349&p=425638#p425638
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
MuayThaiPanda
Novice
Novice

Post by MuayThaiPanda »

Approximately how much would it cost to get a taxi to go from the Bangkok Airport to the On Nut BTS station and how long will it take? Boon Sport is located 1km from that station and I land in at 8:40am. I want to book the VIP airport bus to Hua Hin but not sure how long this round trip will take.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Around 300 Baht for taxi one-way. Take the airport train that connects to the BTS, much quicker and no traffic!
Book the last bus of the day to Hua Hin.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... ngkok.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

MuayThaiPanda wrote:Approximately how much would it cost to get a taxi to go from the Bangkok Airport to the On Nut BTS station and how long will it take? Boon Sport is located 1km from that station and I land in at 8:40am. I want to book the VIP airport bus to Hua Hin but not sure how long this round trip will take.
the cost of the trip at that hour of the morning can vary depending on traffic condition someone with recent experience may be able to help further.
Depending on how much luggage you have you may consider using the sky train I have attached a link that covers routes, timetable and travel times.
Whilst getting around Bangkok a fairly good system is the grab taxi appo which my daughter has been using regularly without problem. see second link attached

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/suva ... -thai.html

https://www.grab.com/th/en/taxi/?gclid= ... aAod1VoIlA
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
MuayThaiPanda
Novice
Novice

Post by MuayThaiPanda »

Wow thanks for all that information. I'll definitely look into taking the train instead of a taxi into Bangkok.

That grab taxi app seems really helpful as well. Thanks again guys!
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

The sport store in Hua Hin market village basement has 12 Oz twins, velcro strap for 1500bht.
Cong Carter gym has a decent selection of gear at bkk prices + 10%.

I'd be tempted to leave my Bangkok equipment shopping to the journey home.
I find it's a bit of a nightmare when unacclimated and jet lagged.
MuayThaiPanda
Novice
Novice

Post by MuayThaiPanda »

Hey guys,

Forgot to update everyone but I made it to Sitjaopho Muay Thai gym in Hua Hin without a hitch. I took the advice of using the airport link to bts to get into Bangkok and went to ActionZone to pick up my muay thai gear. Got two windy gloves for 1500 baht. I then went back to the airport and got on the VIP Airport bus. Was a great comfortable ride and would definitely take that bus again. Hua Hin is great so far and loving it!