Hua Hin for Christmas

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
RichardMc
Novice
Novice

Hua Hin for Christmas

Post by RichardMc »

Hi there from Rich and Sally.
Been reading the forum for a while now in anticipation of our trip to Hua Hin over Christmas so thought I would introduce ourselves and ask what is happening on the 25th.
We will be in BK for a week while Sally is at a conference from the 8th and then travel to HH on the 15th for two weeks holiday. This will be our third time in Thailand but we have never been to Hua Hin before so looking forwards to a bit of R&R and exploring the area.
Since we are there over Christmas I thought I would ask how it is celebrated. Are there any notable bars to visit on the day? Any chance of getting a turkey lunch?
We are staying at the Centara so could eat there but we do like to get out and support the local establishments, especially if they have a good atmosphere.
P.S. Thanks for the Soi 80 maps, I know where I’ll be spending my days!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin for Christmas

Post by HarryVardon »

Christmas doesn't exist for Thai people. There are a few hotels and restaurants offering Christmas Dinners to foreigners. Nothing else changes. Christmas Day is exactly the same as every other day of the year. Thai people don't know what Christmas is, most of them have never heard of Jesus or Santa Claus.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Our sponsor The Palm Bistro is a short taxi ride away and are very well known for their food and craft beers http://www.huahinmedia.com/thepalmbistro.php

Wherever you choose, I would recommend booking to avoid disappointment.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21619&p=425728#p425728
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you don't want to travel too far, this place will offer beachfront views from their rooftop restaurant viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31282&p=428096#p428096
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

HarryVardon wrote:Christmas doesn't exist for Thai people. There are a few hotels and restaurants offering Christmas Dinners to foreigners. Nothing else changes. Christmas Day is exactly the same as every other day of the year. Thai people don't know what Christmas is, most of them have never heard of Jesus or Santa Claus.
It may not exist in their beliefs but they certainly exploit the holiday. Christmas trees and music go on in all the shopping centres. Christmas lights and decorations in BKK and all the major cities/tourist destinations. Most of the larger hotels provide Christmas lunch and festivities. Also many bars/restaurants serve Christmas lunch on the 25th for which it is wise to book.

Of course, in the UK it's already in your face with 3 weeks to go!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote:
HarryVardon wrote:Christmas doesn't exist for Thai people. There are a few hotels and restaurants offering Christmas Dinners to foreigners. Nothing else changes. Christmas Day is exactly the same as every other day of the year. Thai people don't know what Christmas is, most of them have never heard of Jesus or Santa Claus.
It may not exist in their beliefs but they certainly exploit the holiday.
:agree: It's exactly the same in China - more so really...... Money, money, money as that Swedish quartet would say.
HHTel wrote:Of course, in the UK it's already in your face with 3 weeks to go!!
3 weeks??!! Christ, it's been in your face with a good 2 months to go - joke is, Tesco were selling mince pies which were out of date well before Christmas!!

Anyway Rich, I hope yourself and Sally have a great trip and enjoy your Christmas lunch wherever it may be - though I'd agree with Big Boy in that the "Palm Bistro" would be a great choice but book beforehand.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
RichardMc
Novice
Novice

Post by RichardMc »

Thank you all for your fantastic comments and advice. I'll make a booking as advised.
greystag52
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greystag52 »

Me and my wife are also stopping at the Centara over Christmas and we will be having Christmas dinner at the dusit we have had Christmas dinner there before and it was very good.We are staying at the Centara from the 12th dec for 3 weeks so maybe i can buy you a beer.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One time when I was regretting the lack of Christmas attitude by many tourists it was explained to me that many come to Thai to get away from C'mas.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Highly recommended Red Piano which is walking distance from Centara have a set Xmas dinner.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

oakdale160 wrote:One time when I was regretting the lack of Christmas attitude by many tourists it was explained to me that many come to Thai to get away from C'mas.
I think most people here appreciate that Christmas is 1 or 2 days as opposed to 2 months in the UK!