The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

I know there must be written accounts somewhere, but I wonder what makes men switch between types. Is League to Union all about money, and Union to League all about getting older and avoiding injuries? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Super 15 season final championship match between the Hurricanes and Highlanders kicking off now on True channel 669.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Upset in the making. Highlanders leading 13-5 at halftime. Totally unexpected and crowd at Hurricane's home stadium in Wellington are in shock it appears. Stay tuned.......
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

21 - 14 Highlanders....WOW! How many times in all sports do we see hype leading up to a big match where one side is overwhelmingly favored, and that side ultimately loses. Seemed that way today. Hurricanes never had their game on or their heads into to it the right way IMO. Very sad for them and for a few Hurricane players now leaving the team. That's it for Super 15 until next February I think. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly not the result I was expecting, but what a cracking game of rugby! :thumb:

The Highlanders closed the Hurricanes down simply not allowing them to play their expansive style of play.. Huge hits going in from start to finish, with Ma'a Nonu the recipient of a few tasty tackles. Highlanders' No.8 Manu playing over half the match with one eye shut! :shock:

Must have been the icing on the cake for Banks who was dumped by the Hurricanes last season, when he dropped a goal in the final minutes.. :laugh:

Well, as you say Pete - that's it for another season. Here's looking ahead to some cracking rugby in the 2015 RWC - not too long to go now!! :sun: :dance: :clap: :dance: :sun:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Manu's eye also shut during the second half of the Waratahs game 2 weeks ago. It was open at the start of last night, then closed again by the 2nd half. At the awards celebration after the game they had it held open by some kind of suture/tape thing. I'm thinking it may not be an injury issue, but a medical issue. Anyway, he's off to Japan now and wish him luck there. I've never seen Japanese rugby and no idea why he took that step. I don't know his age.

The high point of last night for me was when Dixon dragged 3 Hurricanes on his back about 8 meters in for a try. Seeing that kind of power in a match is a first for me. Pete :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

prcscct wrote:The high point of last night for me was when Dixon dragged 3 Hurricanes on his back about 8 meters in for a try. Seeing that kind of power in a match is a first for me. Pete :cheers:
I agree. I'm not convinced it should have been given, but it certainly deserved a try!
Great game from start to finish, and the better team on the night won.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: I'm not convinced it should have been given, but it certainly deserved a try!
Great game from start to finish, and the better team on the night won.
Certainly agree there!
prcscct wrote:Manu's eye also shut during the second half of the Waratahs game 2 weeks ago. It was open at the start of last night, then closed again by the 2nd half. At the awards celebration after the game they had it held open by some kind of suture/tape thing. I'm thinking it may not be an injury issue, but a medical issue. Anyway, he's off to Japan now and wish him luck there. I've never seen Japanese rugby and no idea why he took that step. I don't know his age.
That's worrying. If he's got a problem with his peripheral vision, that can be bl**dy dangerous in a game of rugby - especially so for someone playing in the backrow. I hope it's just a (treatable) injury and all ends well.

With regards to Japan - quite simply money. A number of "aging stars" tend to end their careers there with a decent pay packet. I think in general the vast majority of players "retiring" there are New Zealanders, but more recently Shane Williams of Wales had a 3 year contract with Mitsubishi Dynaboars - a division 2 side in Japan, rejecting a move to French giants Toulon...... :shock:

I was working in Japan a couple of years ago and was taken to one of the games which I thoroughly enjoyed. The teams I saw, whilst having a few stars, I would liken to mid-low table English Premiership standard.

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If anyone interested, the National Rugby League State of Origin game #3 is on TRUE 669 starting at 1630 hours Thai time. Series tied one game all between New South Wales and Queensland, so this is the decider. NSW is the defending champion.

The first two matches are being repeated now on the same channel. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ The Sydney newspaper this morning said that NSW will win it, as they did last year, which was the first time they had won it since Jesus was playing fullback for Jerusalem! Got to love the Aussies. :laugh: :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

52 - 6 QL. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I have no idea where NSW went last night but it was no where near the rugby stadium. All sorts of records set for the QL scorers and for the tournament in general. QL were inspired, and NSW simply couldn't keep up. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, that was one result I wasn't expecting!! 8 tries to 1..... NSW certainly handed their @rses :shock:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Why am I seeing Wales 17 Fiji 13 on Setanta? Is this current this past weekend in Wales, or a long ago repeat? The last quarter was quite good with Fiji getting close...but no cigar. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ I'm guessing that would be one of the matches in the "Autumn Internationals" series last year - unfortunately, I was there to watch it..... pretty dire display from Wales, but you can never underestimate Fiji - and the buggers are in our group along with England and Australia this coming Rugby World Cup.

As an aside Pete, there's a great (Free) App for smartphones which updates you on fixtures, teams, results etc. of your favourite teams - very useful.

"Ultimate Rugby" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imaterugby

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks for the App. Now all I have to do is buy a smartphone. :shock: :laugh: