The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

Certainly looking forward to the final - Exeter vs Sarries in the semi was a cracking game, and I think Exeter will edge it in the final. Did have tickets, but thought I was travelling so passed them on....... bl**dy trip has been cancelled!! :cuss: :banghead:

Anywho, shall watch on the big screen with a couple of beers - no doubt to be later "spoken to" by the Long Haired General. :oops:

A bit of trivia for you Pete: -

"The largest crowd for a rugby union match was the 109,874 who watched New Zealand win 39-35 at Sydney's Stadium Australia. Each side scored five tries, including two by Stirling Mortlock, who scored 20 points for the losing side. Australia trailed 24-0 after only ten minutes but were level by half time. Later that year, the stadium became the largest venue ever used for an Olympic Games."

[EDIT] For Club Rugby (set in 2015): -

"Saracens moved up to second place in the English Premiership on Saturday after beating Harlequins 42-14 in front of a world record crowd for a club rugby match.

A total of 84,068 spectators turned out for the match at Wembley, the home of English football, as Chris Ashton and Chris Wyles both scored doubles to help secure the victory for Saracens."

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, below are the published stats for Australia. I forget sometimes that Australian Rules football is the largest and most popular spectator sport of all down-under it appears. I enjoy watching a good match when I can see one, which is very rare here. FOX has one sometimes. Pete :cheers:
Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 16.34.14.png
http://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowd_records.php
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pro12 final: Munster 22-46 Scarlets

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40056082

I can't comment as didn't see it yet. Replay should be on Setanta later today. I forgot Pharvey.....are Scarlets your team? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Yes, was a cracking game - must admit beforehand I thought the Scarlets would struggle, but they put in a huge display - just wish Wales would replicate that brand of attacking rugby! :roll:

Hopefully the Scarlets can keep this form up for next season. :thumb:

In answer to your question Pete, I've always followed Llanelli/the Scarlets, but for live rugby I tend to go and see either Newport Gwent Dragons or Bath as they're far more local to me - and I'd also followed Bath for many years when living in the area.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

With the start of the tour less than a week away :clap: :sun: :dance: :sun: :clap: , a couple of great videos to whet your appetite(s)!! :cheers: :cheers:

The following video is a long one at 85 mins or so, but well worth the watch - great insight into the 2017 Lions team, and a bit of history :thumb:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And just as an add on, another long one, but..... OUCH!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Exeter did it...but again I didn't see it as not live here. Will catch it tomorrow like most big matches. :( Congratulations to them. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 pm Exeter did it...but again I didn't see it as not live here. Will catch it tomorrow like most big matches. :( Congratulations to them. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Superb game Pete - hope you get to see it....... and I wasn't even told off by the LHG!! :wink:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

French playoff results. My interest seems to focus upon Dan Carter of Racing 92 and Ma'a Nonu of Toulon, both ex-All Blacks. Carter couldn't extract a win against Clermont, which puts Clermont and Toulon in the finals on June 4. Pete :cheers:
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 02.47.40.png
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Lions first match in New Zealand starting NOW on True 669 Setanta. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Regardless from what country, every time I've watched a Barbarians team they've been unpredictable. No exception today with them ahead 7-3 at the half. Who would have predicted that. The Lions have had a hard time getting their engine started, but during the last 5 minutes of the half they came alive and were denied a try I think 4 times with the ball held up on the line each time. Second half should be a burner.

If I understood the announcer correctly, the son of the Lions head coach is a NZ Barbarian and co-captain today. Playing very well. I think his goal is to be an All Black. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I should have kept my original pick of 6. :banghead: The Lions have some work to do in prep for what's coming. They just look off. Jet lag, food, weather, getting used to new mates....something or everything. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI, Pharvey didn't make any picks for the first Lions match which makes me think he is off to some remote place again.

Standings after Round #1:
Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 01.28.33.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 01.28.33.png (45.97 KiB) Viewed 352 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Excellent start for me - missed the game as I was on site, and forgot to make my bloody pick!! :cuss: :banghead:

Anwho, saw the result and certainly sounds like some vast improvements are to made - the matches are only going to get a whole lot tougher.

[EDIT] Not working anywhere remote this time, although it is Widnes !! :wink:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A little snipit on some of the new laws - must admit I wasn't aware of several of them! :oops:

Mind you, also seems a few players aren't either....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... g-13137799