The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 pm......SBW in the Blackness' starting XV which is always a worry for me - he'll need to be closed down.
If Beauden Barrett is on his game he can truly demoralize an opposing team. Watch his kick returns and short kicks. It's usually evident early on what kind of night he's going to have, or what kind of night the defense will allow him to have. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 pm
pharvey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 pm......SBW in the Blackness' starting XV which is always a worry for me - he'll need to be closed down.
If Beauden Barrett is on his game he can truly demoralize an opposing team. Watch his kick returns and short kicks. It's usually evident early on what kind of night he's going to have, or what kind of night the defense will allow him to have. Pete :cheers:
Certainly true. The AB's have massive strength in depth and superb talent all round, but SBW has always been a stand out player for me. Extremely strong, and his talent for off-loading and keeping the ball moving is world class.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Reaction to yesterday's Lions - All Blacks match from a variety of UK newspapers. Pete :cheers:

http://www.allblacks.com/News/31016/all ... d-up-north
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Whilst we lost, the B&I Lions were certainly not poor - the Blackness are simply superb. :bow:

Certainly some positives comming away with a 3-2 try scoreline, BUT the Lions need to improve at the breakdown, cut-down on silly errors, improve discipline and take their chances...........

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Some interesting changes made for the 2nd and "Must Win" Test Match: -

British & Irish Lions: 15 Liam Williams, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sean O’Brien, 6 Sam Warburton (c), 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Courtney Lawes, 20 CJ Stander, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Ben Te’o, 23 Jack Nowell

I think dropping Ben Te'o to the bench could be a mistake with SBW's strength at Center for the Blackness. Good to see Lawes comming into the Matchday 23 and hope he get's on as an impact player - he's been very impressive on tour IMO. Maro Itoje has also been very impressive and will add some firepower to the pack. I think AWJ is lucky to get another chance as his performinces have certainly been average by his standards.

Full article: - http://www.planetrugby.com/news/warburt ... l-combine/

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The second Lions vs All Blacks test is today. Live from Wellington Westpac Stadium at 1435 hours Thai time. Should be televised on True, Setanta channel 669. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:38 am The second Lions vs All Blacks test is today. Live from Wellington Westpac Stadium at 1435 hours Thai time. Should be televised on True, Setanta channel 669. Pete :cheers:
As always, can also be streemed on www.cricfree.tv

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

And on Sky Sports 1
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pagey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm And on Sky Sports 1
Unfortunately, unless you can nick someone elses' signal - it's far from free. Luckilly enough I can use my parent's account to watch online. I have BT Sports - can't afford both! :wink:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

The closer it gets to KO, the more concerned I'm getting with Sexton at Fly-half. An excellent player, but as a few others on tour, off form IMHO. I'd prefer to see Farrell or Biggar there TBH.
Halfpenny not in the Matchday 23, so limited long-range kicking - could be a killer. :banghead:
Williams at FB I hope is going to bring a spark as he did last week. :thumb:
Farrell at Inside Center? A worry against SBW.... :|
John Davies, Sam Warburton, Faletau - Bring it!! :thumb:
Looking to see a big impact from Itoje and Lawes (sub) and would also expect Kyle Sinckler to come on and look to make an "Impact from the Bench"!!

Come on the LIONS!!! :clap: :dance: :sun: :dance: :clap:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:50 pm
Pagey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm And on Sky Sports 1
Unfortunately, unless you can nick someone elses' signal - it's far from free. Luckilly enough I can use my parent's account to watch online. I have BT Sports - can't afford both! :wink:

Going off subject, but following the current theme, can you guys in the UK access the likes of HD Prime? It has everything, and only costs 380 Baht/month. They have European servers, so I'm guessing it must be feasible, and very affordable.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No wind but sheets of rain during opening ceremonies....playing in the wet suited to both teams I would think. Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

French referees. :banghead: I guess he was right on the shoulder charge, although far from intentional as analyzed and agreed by commentators at the half. Let's see what the second half brings..... :D Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It looked vicious on my TV.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^ In no two ways a Red Card - went in to the head, no arms. Pure and simple a send off.