The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

Not long to go now!!! :dance: :clap: :sun: :clap: :dance:

Heads up for those of you who have not made your predictions - Round 1 kicks off in a few hours at the Principality Stadium :thumb:

Everybody and his dog have written Wales off from doing anything aside from possibly beating the Azzurri due to the long list of casualties they have going into the tournament (some 7 B&I Lions out to start with), BUT...... Whilst we're highly unlikely to be title contenders this year ( :cry: ), I think this squad will surprise a few - of course assuming Rob "Howler's" tactics allow them to. Certainly going to be interesting! :D

God's Own vs The Sweaties (or is it The Scarlets vs Glasgow?) - should be a cracker. The roof will be closed at Cardiff and both sides have very exciting back-lines - though I think Wales will try and target the Scottish Front Row as they are suffering from injuries of there own in that department. Obviously a home win!! :neener:

Les Bleus vs Paddyland

France are always difficult to call - which team are going to turn up? Tails between their legs, or free fast-flowing rugby? Despite recent years, they have a decent home record, there are changes in the team and there's a new coaching staff..... I can see them coming out all guns firing. Ireland are genuine title contenders and the 6 Nations Title could come down to the final weekend at "HQ" with Satan's Select hosting the Men in Green.
Difficult one to call, but I'm guessing on a narrow Irish win - looking forward to seeing the French Fly-half though. At 19, Matthieu Jalibert is the youngest to start a Championship in 50 odd years (at Fly-half anyway). Can't say I've heard much about him, but he's apparently one to watch!

Pasta Munchers vs The Lillywhites

More about that one tomorrow, but time to get the Abacus out I think......

I've managed to find a free UK VPN, so will be connecting to BBC iPlayer in a corner of a workshop in Izmir, but live streams are available on www.cricfree.tv and one I've recently been using www.batmanstream.net

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pete, wherever you may be, hope all's good and you've managed to keep up with the rugby. :thumb:

Well I (and I doubt many others) were expecting that result at the Principality. Scotland were not great, but you simply cannot take it away from the way Wales played - a Bonus Point win against a resurgent Scot side (regardless of an off day) is a cracking start for us Welsh. With the changes made in the Scottish side - especially Laidlaw and Sean Maitland - why in God's name these two were not starting last week, I can see the Scots sneaking a 3-5 point win over the French.

A pretty much anticipated BIG win for England against Italy - 7 tries and obvious Bonus Point. Big in defence also, but Wales will be a different proposition (as will England for Wales). As a Welshman, the problem I have is the Welsh front-row, back-row we should match or even better the English, BUT if we don't get parity in the front 5, that's not going to happen. With the back-row not operating, that spells BIG problems for the backline. Hope I'm very much wrong, but we'll see. Betting with the heart - Wales by 3.

Also heard that Halfpenny (my man-of-the-match) last week, has been withdrawn in the dying hours before "HQ"..... will the injuries never end! :cuss: :banghead: Gareth Anscombe will come in, but HELL!!.

Well, Ireland vs France. I honestly felt quite sorry for the French (how sad), BUT what a hell of a drop goal by Sexton - match winner in the truest sense. Ireland vs Italy, well - they're a while away at best. Bonus point win for Ireland by 30.

To all watching - ENJOY!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And how the Prediction League stands from Round 1: -
6N-R1.PNG
6N-R1.PNG (60.93 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Betting "With the Heart" never helps me in the rugby, so I'm sure my position in the table will change significantly!! :cry: If it doesn't, then I've won a couple of 100 quid with a double!! (That would be Scotland and Wales by the way..........) :D

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A harsh day for the Italians thus far - Ireland I think looking at the points difference at the final table, not just the Bonus Point. 21 points in 21 minutes does tell something.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I am in Sydney right now and last night I went with my son and family to see Warratahs v The Stormers, an exciting game which was 27 all when the hooter went, Warratahs stole the ball on the last play and went over for a try to win by 7. But most importantly I saw my 8 year old grandson play mini-rugby at half time in front of thousands of people.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 amBut most importantly I saw my 8 year old grandson play mini-rugby at half time in front of thousands of people.
Great stuff - lifelong memories there for him! :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Good for the game in the States and could push further for the "possible" Pro14 (or will it be Pro15) franchise.

Wales to Play South Africa at RFK Stadium in Washington DC in June

"Wales will play South Africa in Washington DC on 2 June, it was announced on Monday. The game will be played at RFK Stadium, formerly home of the US capital’s NFL team and the DC United Major League Soccer franchise.
The first minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones, and South African US ambassador Mninwa Johannes Mahlangu spoke at the South African embassy in Washington, at the start of Jones’s trip to promote post-Brexit trade and ties with the US and Canada.
“The visit is about raising the profile of Wales and the Welsh,” Jones told the Guardian. “For a long time we did not have a political identity so our sporting identity was hugely important. South Africa are one of our oldest rivals – we didn’t beat them for 93 years – so a sporting occasion against them is great for raising our profile.”
The game will be the first standalone event run by Rugby International Marketing (RIM), a company set up by USA Rugby in 2014 with investment from Wales’s keenest rivals: England. RIM also runs therugbychannel.tv, a streaming service available to US fans.
Wales will travel on to play twice in Argentina, in San Juan on 9 June and Santa Fe a week later. Welsh Rugby Union leaders have suggested senior players, particularly those who toured with the British and Irish Lions to New Zealand in 2017, may not travel.
Washington has been a rumoured home for a Pro14 franchise, in one of a number of attempts to establish professional rugby union in the US. Super Rugby was due to hold a preseason fixture in Los Angeles in February, only for the game to be called off. The Rugby World Cup Sevens will be hosted in San Francisco in July."

Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... on-dc-june

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Amazing Opportunity - England v Ireland 17th March

Post by Pagey »

Amazing Opportunity - England v Ireland 17th March at Twickenham.

England v Ireland March 17th St Patrick's Day Twickenham

This may be of interest to you or someone you know. A friend of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for England v Ireland 17th March. He paid £300 each but he didn't realise when he bought them, months ago, that it was going to be the same day as his wedding.

If you are interested, he is looking for somebody to take his place.

Its at Marylebone Registry Office at 4.30 pm. The Bride's name is Nicola - she is 5ft 4ins - about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^ :lach: :lach: :lach:

Thanks Pagey, that really has made my day!! :thumb:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Yep, that's a cracker....
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Friday's Super Rugby results from NZ and Oz. Don't discount the Argentines any longer, they've won the last four matches, convincingly. Now, if only the Sunwolves in Japan could finally get going..... :( Pete :cheers:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 19.04.08.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 19.04.08.png (38.25 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're up Pharvey for Superbru. I don't know how many will have interest in the second listed tournament? Pete :cheers:

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 14.26.42.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 14.26.42.png (34.5 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Will do Pete - Great to have you back BTW! :thumb:

Watched the European Challenge Cup Final between Cardiff and Gloucester last night - absolute cracker!! :thumb: Won't post the result now as you may have a chance to see yourselves - hope you do!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I've seen the highlights but not the full match yet so know the outcome. Looks like a really special one! :D

On this side of world the Sunwolves finally won their first for the year against the Queensland Reds, 63-28 in Tokyo. When they decide to do things right, they really do things right! :shock: The NZ teams are rolling along as usual this weekend: Hurricanes/Blues 36-15, Crusaders/Waratahs 31-29, Highlanders/Lions 19-3 at the half now, tonight Chiefs in SAF against the Stormers which should be a good match, as well as the Melbourne Rebels against the Sydney Brumbies starting in and hour and a half.

Later today your time is also the Champions Cup final with Dan Carter's Racing 92 against Leinster. I'm picking Racing obviously. :D A lot of Rugby going on! :thumb: Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As you said Pete, I don't honestly think people will be interested in the U20 Tournament (although personally I love it) - therefore, I've just set up the league for the "June Internationals". For those interested, details below: -

https://www.superbru.com/juneinternatio ... p=11842140
Pool name: HHF June Internationals 2018
Pool code: jadetune

IF anyone is interested in the U20 League, post here and I'll set it up. :thumb: