World Cup 2014

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by PeteC »

Do they drug test these guys? I ask because of this flu problem and how any meds for it may affect them.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

prcscct wrote:Do they drug test these guys? I ask because of this flu problem and how any meds for it may affect them.
I think they test 2 players from each team after a game and the costa ricians got angry that 7 of their players was tested after one of the group matches.

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Seems like Brasil and Columbia have kicked off a little early.....

Television stars from Colombia have been filmed fighting with Brazilians, with plates being thrown across a restaurant as both countries count down to their quarter final clash in Fortaleza.
The fight broke out after the two parties exchanged insults before grappling and throwing crockery as other restaurant-goers tried to pull them apart.
It is the latest in a series of unsavoury incidents in the build up to Friday's game - with Brazil fans setting off fireworks outside the Colombia team hotel at 4am on the night before the game in a bid to disrupt their South American neighbours

Ahhh, they joys of the "Beautiful Game"....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It was a pretty dull game with a predictable result. Hope the Brazil game is better.
Talk is cheap
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi hi

Well a very very well played 1st half of the German Squad but a strengthend French side by the second half. If the match would had go on 5 to 10 Minutes on Benzema or Baise Matuidy would had their equalizing Goal! The German side had a few chances to seal the deal and made it 2 zip! But in the end we Won and that what counts! Oh wie ist das schön oh wie ist das schön!!!

Your's The understudy!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote:It was a pretty dull game with a predictable result. Hope the Brazil game is better.
TBH I wasn't expecting it to be anything other than dull (and not because I'm not a great FOOTBALL (no need for spelling correction) fan. Brazil vs Columbia, was always the one I was going to watch, and I think will be an exciting game one way or another...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

So Neymar has fractured his L3 vertebra. Well, he has been carrying the whole team.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28173132
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

That was the worst refereeing performance of the tournament, with cynical foul after cynical foul going unpunished. Brazil were marginally the worst offenders.

Great goal by Luiz but Brazil are out to win this tournament by fair means or foul, but are they good enough? The fact Willian might now get a game could be good news for them, depending on how he's used? IMO he was Chelsea's best last season.
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

caller wrote:That was the worst refereeing performance of the tournament, with cynical foul after cynical foul going unpunished. Brazil were marginally the worst offenders.
Not sure it was the worst, but it was poor.
Amazing that there was only 4 yellows in the match and even more so that Fernandinho managed to play 90 mins without getting one :shock:
He could/should have had 3 in the first half.
. . . . but Brazil are out to win this tournament by fair means or foul, but are they good enough?
Being the hosts and with the vociferous support of the crowd (and a helping hand or two from the officials :wink: ) they could be.

In football terms, they are quite the most average Brazil side I've ever seen.
Some really average players and even their 'star' player Neymar is overhyped.

They will miss Thiago Silva in the semis but do have Gustavo to come back in, which is a bonus.
That said I can see the Germans turning them over in a close game.

Of the other two games today :idea:
Should end up an Argentina v Holland semi.

Costa Rica look to have run out of steam but it wouldn't really surprise me to see Belgium progress.
They haven't overly impressed so far but do have the players to move up another gear.

We shall see :D

:cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

On another note, despite our poor showing and unlike some, I have really enjoyed the tournament overall.
A lot of entertaining attacking football and plenty of goals.

A special mention for some of the nations who are not quite as high profile on the world's footballing stage, but have put in some terrific performances.

Australia, Algeria, Iran, USA, Costa Rica and Ecuador :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

German efficiency and discipline will probably see off Brazil and/or Argentina, both teams being extremely average imo.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No comments about last night? I didn't see Argentina, and the Netherlands game put me to sleep to the extent a different show was on when I woke up and I had to check the internet for the score. :laugh: Personally, I'm hoping for a Germany vs Netherlands final. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bajm

Post by bajm »

NL – CR: 0 – 0.
Costa Rica played very rigid, against the Netherlands.
From the start it was clear that they did not have an intention to win and by all means eliminate Robben, who was lucky that he did not have to leave the pitch in a stretcher.
CR were hoping to repeat their performance against Greece in the penalty shootout.
A masterstroke from LvG to substitute the goalkeeper in the last minute of the extra time made Tim Krul the match winner by stopping 2 penalties.
Looking forward to the match against Argentina where injured Di Maria will not be playing.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

bajm wrote:NL – CR: 0 – 0.
Costa Rica played very rigid, against the Netherlands.
From the start it was clear that they did not have an intention to win and by all means eliminate Robben, who was lucky that he did not have to leave the pitch in a stretcher.
CR were hoping to repeat their performance against Greece in the penalty shootout.
A masterstroke from LvG to substitute the goalkeeper in the last minute of the extra time made Tim Krul the match winner by stopping 2 penalties.
Looking forward to the match against Argentina where injured Di Maria will not be playing.
hope for no Italian refs
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I enjoyed both games yesterday, but either Argentina are a much better team than what I thought or Belgium were shockingly poor - I suspect the latter. Poor old Hazard (young actually) looks played out. He had zero impact before being substituted, similar to his last few games for Chelsea. That's the effect of English football and he just needs a break. But overall, I was really disappointed with Belgium who I expected to do much better. Argentina were as cynical and savvy as you would expect them to be, but I'd be very surprised if the beat the Dutch.

I loved the Holland / Costa Rica game, but don't quite see it the same way as bajm did. Robben was great and even after extra time looked the sharpest on the pitch, so no real problems with the fouls then! It would have been a travesty if the Dutch hadn't gone through and I'd be more than happy to see them go on to win the tournament, but they always seem to bottle it at the final hurdle! For a nation the size of the Netherlands, with the fantastic players and teams they have been producing since the early 70's, I'd say a win is long overdue.
Talk is cheap